Steak seasoning or marinades?
Okay so I finally got a cast iron skillet, it's a Lodge Pre-seasoned 12" skillet. Now my gf is used to grilled steaks but I want to make her something she'll love. Before having a CI I've been using a regular non-stick pan and then putting the steaks in the oven for 10 minutes and it's usually a hit or miss. I usually just use kosher salt and pepper or montreal seasoning and now that i have a CI I want to do it right. The method I will be using to cook the steak is this:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with the pan inside for 20 minutes
- Take pan out and put it on the stove using medium high heat
- Sear both sides for 30 seconds each
- Pop it in the oven for two minutes
- Flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
Now for the seasoning, what do you guys use? If I use a marinade will it be a mess in the CI?
I make a mix of very finely ground coffee, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper and sprinkle some on our steaks before grilling. You need your own coffee grinder to get the coffee grind finely ground enough. And be sure to butter the steaks as soon as they come off the heat, like Ruth Chris steakhouses do.