Somerset/Somerville with 6 year old
Looking for a casual yet nice place for dinner with our 6 year old in downtown Somerville/Somerset (visiting area pre-move so I'm not familiar with the area). No pizza please. Child is well behaved and fairly adventurous---we do enjoy ethnic. Nothing fancy.
Hmmm... been a while since I've been out with a six year old. The following are not necessarily the very best restaurants in town, but I think would be good places based on your criteria:
1. Though you said "no pizza please," on Main Street in Somerville is Alfonsos Trattoria, which has a very extensive menu, including, but by no means, limited to pizza. (And they have a relatively large kids menu). http://alfonsostrattoria.com/history....
2. If ethnic includes Indian, I've seen young children a couple of times on my many visits to Bombay Spice, a small Indian restaurant in the Prince Rogers shopping center (@ 5 minutes from downtown Somerville). While it may not look like your first choice to go with kids, the owners are a lovely couple who are very accomodating. (Took my own kids there for their first time at an Indian restaurant, but they were a little older, probably between 8 & 10 at the time.) http://www.bombayspicenj.com/Menu.html
There is also an Indian restaurant on Main Street in Somerville called Veda Grill, however I don;'t recall seeing kids there. http://www.vedagrill.com/
3. If Thai is an option, Somerville has 5 - 6 Thai restaurants. Origin, on Division Street, is the finest in terms of food, but the menu is more limited and the vibe a little fancier than the other places. I would suggest one of the Thai Kitchen locations. Thai Kitchen I is in the Prince Rogers Shopping Center, and Thai Kitchen II is in a shopping center on the Somerville Circle. (the shopping Center with Barnes & Nobles, Modells, & Eastern Mountain Sports) http://www.thaikitchennj.com/ Both are within 5 minutes of downtown Somerville.
4. There are at least 4 Japanese restaurants in Somerville. Shumi and Wasabi are the better ones, but might not be the best with child. I would suggest, instead, Yutaka Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi, 90 West Main Street in Somerville, because it has hibachi, which can be a hit with kids. http://www.yutakanj.com/ (There is also a Sushi/Hibachi place in that same Prince Rogers shopping Center)
5. Finally, if a chain restaurant is acceptable, there is quite a glut of them in the Somerville/Bridgewater area, of which Cheesecake Factory at the Bridgewater Mall may be the best of them. (CH'ers don't kill me for suggesting a chain - - I'm thinking of the kid.)
This is more than helpful forklaw. Thank you. We love thai and I'm thinking the hibachi may be a good idea too. I bet my DD would love that especially since she just did a unit in school on Japan.
And since we will be moving in August I am glad you mentioned some places in strip malls and shopping centers. Just good to get a sense of things. I really appreciate the many recommendations. Thank you.