Somerset/Somerville with 6 year old
Looking for a casual yet nice place for dinner with our 6 year old in downtown Somerville/Somerset (visiting area pre-move so I'm not familiar with the area). No pizza please. Child is well behaved and fairly adventurous---we do enjoy ethnic. Nothing fancy.
Hmmm... been a while since I've been out with a six year old. The following are not necessarily the very best restaurants in town, but I think would be good places based on your criteria:
1. Though you said "no pizza please," on Main Street in Somerville is Alfonsos Trattoria, which has a very extensive menu, including, but by no means, limited to pizza. (And they have a relatively large kids menu). http://alfonsostrattoria.com/history.html
2. If ethnic includes Indian, I've seen young children a couple of times on my many visits to Bombay Spice, a small Indian restaurant in the Prince Rogers shopping center (@ 5 minutes from downtown Somerville). While it may not look like your first choice to go with kids, the owners are a lovely couple who are very accomodating. (Took my own kids there for their first time at an Indian restaurant, but they were a little older, probably between 8 & 10 at the time.) http://www.bombayspicenj.com/Menu.html
There is also an Indian restaurant on Main Street in Somerville called Veda Grill, however I don;'t recall seeing kids there. http://www.vedagrill.com/
3. If Thai is an option, Somerville has 5 - 6 Thai restaurants. Origin, on Division Street, is the finest in terms of food, but the menu is more limited and the vibe a little fancier than the other places. I would suggest one of the Thai Kitchen locations. Thai Kitchen I is in the Prince Rogers Shopping Center, and Thai Kitchen II is in a shopping center on the Somerville Circle. (the shopping Center with Barnes & Nobles, Modells, & Eastern Mountain Sports) http://www.thaikitchennj.com/ Both are within 5 minutes of downtown Somerville.
4. There are at least 4 Japanese restaurants in Somerville. Shumi and Wasabi are the better ones, but might not be the best with child. I would suggest, instead, Yutaka Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi, 90 West Main Street in Somerville, because it has hibachi, which can be a hit with kids. http://www.yutakanj.com/ (There is also a Sushi/Hibachi place in that same Prince Rogers shopping Center)
5. Finally, if a chain restaurant is acceptable, there is quite a glut of them in the Somerville/Bridgewater area, of which Cheesecake Factory at the Bridgewater Mall may be the best of them. (CH'ers don't kill me for suggesting a chain - - I'm thinking of the kid.)
This is more than helpful forklaw. Thank you. We love thai and I'm thinking the hibachi may be a good idea too. I bet my DD would love that especially since she just did a unit in school on Japan.
And since we will be moving in August I am glad you mentioned some places in strip malls and shopping centers. Just good to get a sense of things. I really appreciate the many recommendations. Thank you.
You're welcome and good luck with your move. Post again when you are closer to your move with whatever specific types of restaurants (or other information) you seek. I'm sure the collective knowledge of Chowhounders who live or work in Somerset County can provide some answers.