Vacuum infusions using ISI whipper.
I've tried both water and alcohol with my iSi Gourmet Whip plus -- and both work equally well. There are a lot of factors to keep in mind, though:
- Ingredients should be a room temp for best infusion
- the longer the infused liquid sits, the stronger it gets. I've infused choc nibs with vodka, for example -- and the best taste was 24 hours after the infusion.
- Shake hard once you've infused with the nitrous cartridge. (I've used c02 for quick marinating scallops and making carbonated fruit -- but always use nitrous for the water/spirit infusions.)
- Don't let it sit too long infusing. It seems that the longer you let it infuse, the more bitterness you'll probably get in the final product. I usually put the ingredients in the whipper, seal, infuse, shake for 30 secs, let sit for anywhere from 1-2 mins, release the gas, pour out. Then I let sit for at least five minutes before initially tasting.
- Finally, if you're using spirits as a base, be sure to use *good* quality spirits. I made the mistake of buying cheap tequila and cheap vodka (thinking it doesn't make a difference as a base). It does -- a big difference. Choc nibs infused in cheap vodka were far, far harsher than nibs in Absolut (very smooth, very rich, but not at all bitter).
- BTW -- I've made basil water, mint water -- works great! Nice, mellow but distinctive flavors.
Report back on your results! I'd love to hear more nitro-infusion combinations.