HOME > Chowhound > Cheese >
Do you create unique foods?
TELL US

fuzzy mold

k
karinl Jan 16, 2012 05:11 AM

I have a Mont d'Or cheese in my fridge (in a wooden box under its original plastic packaging). It's not supposed to expire for another 2 weeks but I can already see white fuzzy mold all around the top edge.

Would it be safe to eat if I scoop out all the fuzzy bits and pop the rest in the oven? (I had planned to heat it up and eat it fondue style).

  1. Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. arktos Jan 16, 2012 10:14 AM

    I'd be worried if they had pigmented spots (green or pink) which are only the surface buds of a large network of filaments where most of the toxin resides.

    1. Motosport Jan 16, 2012 11:54 AM

      I may be nuts but I just cut out the mold on cheese and eat it. Most times I am heating the cheese for omelettes, grilled cheese/burgers or gratinee. If the mold went thru the cheese and was not only on the surface I'd toss it.
      As my god parents (both almost 100) say: "Whatever doesn't kill you it makes you stronger!" Then again, I won't eat anything from their fridge.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Motosport
        e
        ediblover Jan 16, 2012 12:41 PM

        Seconded.

        Listen to the monger!
        http://www.chow.com/food-news/54618/d...

      2. d
        DeppityDawg Jan 16, 2012 12:44 PM

        This happens all the time with cheeses like mont d'or stored in plastic. I would just scrape the fuzz off the rind.

        http://www.vacherin-montdor.ch/en/pro...

        1 Reply
        1. re: DeppityDawg
          k
          karinl Jan 16, 2012 02:10 PM

          that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for saving my dinner!

        Show Hidden Posts