HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What have you made lately? Share your food adventure

Enchilada ovenware?

carriesn Jan 4, 2012 03:35 PM

I did a search and found nothing about this issue on this board.

Ive been going crazy- I can't find the correct term for this sort of thing. You know, when you order enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant, they usually bring 'em out on special plates with a steel liner. The plate-liner was obviously heated in the oven then placed in the plate holder/tray before serving.

I'd love to buy one or two for home-- but for the life of me, I can't find any! Probably because I dont know what this is called.

Help, anyone?


  1. g
    GH1618 Jan 19, 2012 02:48 PM

    Isn't this called a sizzle platter?


    What is the difference between an enchilada platter and a fajita platter?

    2 Replies
    1. re: GH1618
      carriesn Jan 20, 2012 09:12 AM

      You may just have hit the nail on the head!

      Sizzle platter.

      Difference, no idea but the fajitas here usually come on cast iron griddles and I wasn't looking for that.


      1. re: carriesn
        wyogal Jan 20, 2012 09:16 AM

        look at my link... same thing. A sizzle platter, also called a steak/fajita platter by makers. Not cast iron griddle.

    2. c
      carriesn Jan 19, 2012 02:36 PM

      Must be a New Mexican thing then. I see those plates ALL the time here-- and its not a fajita plate thats for sure :)

      Ill have to take a pic of one next time and post! Thanks for your replies though--

      1. w
        wyogal Jan 5, 2012 08:39 AM

        I've only had enchiladas served on a plate, but here is an example of a fajita/steak plate.

        1. e
          escondido123 Jan 4, 2012 06:34 PM

          The OP is talking about plates that are metal and nestle into a non-metal platter for service. Not sure where you would find them, maybe a restaurant supply house?

          1. boogiebaby Jan 4, 2012 05:12 PM

            I've never seen enchiladas served on a fajita platter either, and I live in So. CA. Usually enchiladas here are served on a plate, and fajitas are served on the fajita platters, heated super hot so they sizzle when the food is added.

            1 Reply
            1. re: boogiebaby
              rasputina Jan 5, 2012 08:34 AM

              Yep, I've eaten enchiladas in Mexico at a tiny little local restaurant and they were just served on a regular dinner plate.

            2. r
              rasputina Jan 4, 2012 04:53 PM

              It sounds like you are talking about a fajita platter. I've never seen them used for enchiladas though. It's usually a cast iron oval pan and sits on a wood base


              Show Hidden Posts