HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Are you making a specialty food? Share your adventure

Liquid Crème Fraiche?

GhostHound Dec 28, 2011 07:58 PM

I have a french recipe that calls for "liquid" crème fraiche . . . the type I can buy is not liquid - it is semi-solid - a bit thicker than sour cream. Does anyone one know what the liquid version is? How would one approximate it?

  1. l
    L987 Dec 29, 2011 12:35 PM

    what kind of recipe is it? u can probably use the thick creme fraiche or use heavy cream instead

    3 Replies
    1. re: L987
      GhostHound Dec 29, 2011 01:30 PM

      It is a clafouti recipe from a book called Flans, Fars, et Clafoutis, published by Marabout. I have always improvised, and results have never been bad, but I wanted clarification, since the consistency is so different from one substitute to another. Also, I didn't want to lose the sour aspect of the crème fraiche, which is not present in regular cream.

      At any rate, the author, , wrote back, and says:
      "j'essaierai de mélanger votre crème fraîche à du lait pour obtenir
      une crème moins riche, je ferrai 1/3 de lait et 2/3 de crème ... si j'habitais Montréal!"

      "I would try mixing crème fraiche with milk to obtain a less rich cream, 1/3 milk, and 2/3 crème fraiche"

      That's what i will do . . .

      By the way, her blog:

      1. re: GhostHound
        ca262626 Dec 29, 2011 07:30 PM

        this is pretty much what I was going to say, though you may not really need as much as 1/3 milk... I remember once stirring less than a tablespoon of maple syrup into a tub of creme fraiche and it going completely liquid on me. Unfortunately that was not what I was going for. :)

        1. re: ca262626
          GhostHound Dec 29, 2011 09:14 PM

          Ah-ha . . thanks . . . I will proceed slowly.

    2. sunshine842 Dec 29, 2011 09:33 AM

      It gets confusing -- the term can be used for either "fresh cream" (the literal translation) or the sour-cream-ish thick stuff.

      If it says "crème fraiche liquide" in the recipe, then they mean the heavy-cream version. Fleurette is available in higher fat contents in France.

      1. bushwickgirl Dec 29, 2011 04:26 AM

        This is a new one for me. All I can think is that the recipe calls for using heated creme fraiche first; it will liquify. If that's not it, perhaps thin it slightly with some heavy cream. What is the recipe for?

        1 Reply
        1. re: bushwickgirl
          GhostHound Dec 29, 2011 08:52 AM

          Did some Googling . . . French Wikipedia suggests it is "crème fleurette", which has a very different fat content than regular crème fraîche (20%, as opposed to 40%).

          On-line discussions are far from conclusive:

          I found a blog belonging to the author of the cook-book in question, and wrote to her . . . will post her reply, if I get one.

        2. letsindulge Dec 28, 2011 08:34 PM

          Heavy cream or manufacturers cream is usable depending on the fat content.

          Show Hidden Posts