The Ten Best Things I Put In My Mouthhole in 2011 (Asheville)
1. Crispy Sweetbreads at The Admiral
2. Fried Eggplant at Curate
3. Devil's Oasis cocktail at Storm Rhum Bar
4. Ceviche at Limones
5. Bangkok Shrimp taco at White Duck Taco
6. Black Forest Ham & White Cheddar croissant at Flat Rock Village Bakery
7. Carnitas Torta at Papa's & Beer South
8. Carolina Dog at Hardcastle Hotdog stand
9. Jerk Seitan at Plant
10. Bing Cherry-Goat Cheese ice cream at Ultimate Ice Cream
This is fun! I want to play :)
My Avl top 10 for '11 in no particular order:
1. Heirloom tomato and goat cheese salad from The Junction (summer menu).
2. Tempura cherry tomatos at with lemon aoli The Junction (summer).
3. Salted Caramel ice cream The Hop.
4. Guacamole at Chrizo (I seriously ate any entire bowl myself).
5. Eggplant at Curate'
6. White asparagus at Curate'
7. Huevos rancheros at Sunny Point (with extra goat cheese and salsa verde!)
8. Mahi Mahi fish taco special at Mamacitas (best super cheap and easy meal)
9. Pomegranat walnut dip with manchengo cheese at Enoteca.
10. Dirty Martini with blue cheese stuffed olives, extra dirty...well Im still looking, but I am optimistic...
Reviewing this list makes me almost look vegetarian. I guess this is a testament to the yummy fresh local produce and cheeses we in the 'ville. Starting my 2012 list now :)
Oh and I really must get to the Admiral...
no particular order, thus abc... instead of 123... :
a. shrimp po'boy (westville pub)
b. fried fish (prosser's bbq, sc)
c. smoked chicken (my house)
d. pepperoni, sausage and garlic pizza (favilla's)
e. salted carmel ice cream (the hop)
f. doughnuts & cider (blake's cider mill, mi)
g. pizza (loui's pizza, detroit)
h. smoked pork (my house)
i. spaghetti & meat sauce (my house)
j. cinnamon babka (my house)
depends on the timing. when i get a late start, i generaly grill/smoke with charcoal/lump; when i plan ahead, i use hickory.
one of the few silver linings of the recession/depression is that it's forced me to cook at home significantly more. i've rediscovered my love of and ability for it, and my grilling/smoking especialy has really come on strong. it's been a good food year.
I'll play..although I'm sure I'm forgetting something...
- short ribs @ The Admiral
- chicken fritters @ Curate
- sea bass with coconut sauce @ Limones
- japanese sampler platter @ Heiwa
- fried chicken confit @ Storm
- funghi wood-fired pizza @ Flat Rock Bakery
- carnitas tacos @ White Duck
- falafel from Gypsy Queen
- cuban sandwich @ Mountain Deli, Hendersonville
- dry-aged tenderloin filet at The Chop Shop (smoked on my husband's Primo grill)
1. Dark Chocolate Pistachio Frog - Chocolate Fetish
2. Cranberry/Apricot Scone - Flat Rock Village Bakery
3. Vanilla glazed cinnamon roll - Wildflour Bakery (saluda)
4. Goat Pizza - West First (h'ville)
5. Generally everything - the Admiral
6. Imladris jam w/ sausage (just wish the biscuit was better) - Sunny Point
7. Ceviche - Storm
8. Bangkok Shrimp taco (shrimp could be better, but the combo is awesome) - White Duck
9. Stackhouse goat cheese - Spinning Spider at the farmer's market
10. TurkeyBriePesto sandwich - 12 Bones
Okay, I'll bite...bwaahahahaha. Anyway:
1. A good ole hamburger @ The Junction
2. Dark and Stormy @ The Admiral
3. Ceviche @ Limones (I could eat this every day)
4. Drinks I do not remember (self inflicted amnesia) @ Sazerac and Storm
5. Pot de Creme @ French Broad
6. Arugala Salad @ The Admiral
7. Nine Mile @ Nine Mile (a jerk dish...very reasonable and nice mid-day "app")
8. The Sweet One @ Sunny Point
9. Chips @ The Gourmet Chip Company (we have several)
10. 9 AM Mimosas at Sunny Point (they taste the same as anywhere else, but are special at 9 AM)
re: Jeff C.
re: Jeff C.
that's so funny about the Dark & Stormy, my husband got one the first time we went and I guess didn't realize exactly what it was and could barely finish it he hated it so much. He's learned... haha no worries though as there are plenty of other options on their list that he loves!! But, that's our joke, "so....ya gettin' a Dark & Stormy???" LOL