Singapore - Great Sharksfin Soup & Dim Sum at Taste Paradise ( 味之樓)
- klyeoh Nov 20, 2011 08:02 AM
Taste Paradise had certainly came a looong way since it started off as a "tze-char" eatery in MacPherson, later moving into more spiffy premises in Mosque Street (Chinatown) in 2006, where it gained a legion of new fans for its modern jazzed-up interpretation of humble "tze-char" and hawker fare staples - case in point, its incredibly tasty stir-fried Chinese carrot cake (蘿蔔糕).
Now, with its flagship restaurant in ION Orchard, Taste Paradise has staked its claim to be one of the best Cantonese restaurants in Singapore. Its lunch-time dim sum crowd was overwhelming, but the queue was worth it. What we had today:
- Steamed cha-siu bao (叉燒包) - OK, Imperial Treasure at Paragon still served the best ones in Singapore, IMO;
- Baked cha-siu puffs (叉燒酥) - light, buttery flaky cha-siu filled puffs were extremely good!
- Har gau (蝦餃) - perfectly-timed, fresh supple shrimps;
- Siu mai (燒賣) - delicious - two-thumbs up ;-)
- Wu kok (芋角) - many places in Singapore churned out great-tasting "wu kok", but I must admit that Taste Paradise' were the BEST I'd had in Singapore in a long while!
- House special seafood tofu topped with salmon roe. Nice;
- Ngau yuk kau / Beef balls (牛肉球) - also definitely the best-tasting beef balls I'd ever tasted (I normally don't quite like this dim sum item), served with Worcestershire sauce dip;
- Chiuchow fun guo (潮州粉果), which was passable - the best ones in town are from Crystal Jade Palace, I think.
- cheung fun (腸粉) stir-fried with very spicy XO sauce;
- deep-fried mango-prawn rolls - didn't know what these tasted like as I skipped it
- the piece de resistance of the meal: braised whole-comb sharksfin soup, served in Japanese stone-pot, with a long wand-like deep-fried spring roll to dip into the gelatinous, tasty soup. Fabulous - definitely one of the best sharksfin soup in town;
- Desserts: mango pudding, aloe-vera jelly.
I enjoyed this dim sum lunch more than the one I had in Crystal Jade Palace recently!
2 Orchard Turn #04-07
Tel: +65-6509 9660
Crystal Jade Palace Restaurant
391 Orchard Rd, Singapore 238872, SG
1 Kim Seng Promenade, Singapore 237994, SG