Snack or Dessert to bring for Thanksgiving
For the past couple of years I've been bringing some tasty NYC goodies to my parent's place for Thanksgiving in Massachusetts. I think last year it was cookies from Levain. Not sure what to try this year. A few criteria:
-I travel on a bus so it can't be anything that needs to be refrigerated or will spoil or get stale quickly or take up a ton of space.
-It's not a "gift" so no fancy packaging necessary.
-It doesn't have to be a dessert and my family is pretty much open to all kinds of food.
-Budget is minimal-under $25...it would be for 4 people and we like to share.
-Ideally something you can only get in NYC
I was thinking doughnuts from Doughnut Plant but I'm worried about how they will travel and whether they'll still be good the next day. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
220 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10011
- The original comment has been removed
Some more ideas:
- I brought croissants from Mille-Feuille to a birthday party, we had a ton left over, and my friend reported them just as delicious the next day. The box costs a little bit extra and the croissants are so buttery, the box starts to fall apart are a little while, so bring an extra plastic grocery bag or something.
- Epicurie Boulud, maybe?
- A box of macarons might work as they are supposed to be "aged" according to posters here (more knowledgeable than I about these sorts of things)
- I know that a lot of the Momofuku Milk Bar items come pre-packaged so they may last a few days
- Despana now has the 5 Jotas brand of jamon iberico which is excellent, and will probably survive the trip OK
- Maybe something from Eataly? They have a lot of great cured meats now, as does the Heritage Meats stand in Essex St Market (Edwards, Benton's country hams, for one).
- Salumeria Rosi and Murray's Cheese could also have some good ones to bring.
254 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10014
408 Broome St, New York, NY 10013
283 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10023
Momofuku Milk Bar
251 E 13th St, New York, NY 10003
200 5th Ave, New York, NY 10010
1900 Broadway, New York, NY 10023
552 LaGuardia Pl, New York, NY 10012
Heritage Meat Shop
120 Essex St, New York, NY 10002
Last year I brought those cute mini cupcakes from Baked by Melissa.
They have special packaging that travels very well.
I take a bus, then a subway, then an hour train ride to my family
and there was no problem.
Bought them on Wed. and they were very fresh for Thursday night.
(You can always cover them in Saran Wrap.)
Baked by Melissa
7 E 14th St, New York, NY 10003