Indonesia - Dinner at "White Man's Village" in Nusa Dua, Bali
I had serious doubts about going into a restaurant called "Resto Kampung Bule" or White Man's Village Restaurant in Nusa Dua, Bali's uber-chic part of the island. The setting was pretty atttractive though - an elaborate century-old wooden traditional "joglo" house, constructed from hard teakwood.
What we had:
- "Sop soto ayam" - clear chicken soup with tinged slightly yellow thru use of fresh turmeric, subtly spiced and replete with chicken meat & glass noodles.
- Grilled chicken sate skewers served in a mini-earthenware brazier. The peanut/dark sweet soysauce dip was very tasty.
- "Bebek Betutu" - traditional Balinese slow-steamed-baked spiced duck in banana leaves. The version here was not the best you'd ever had, but competently prepared and served hot, with a small mound of reddish wild rice on the side.
Overall, a really decent spot for food and drinks in Nusa Dua, away from the more expensive hotel spots in the main resort compound.
Resto Kampung Bule
Jl. Pantai Geger
Nusa Dua Selatan
Nusa Dua, Bali
Had a small taste of some "Bebek Betutu" my wife brought back from a day trip to Ubud. It was soooo nice and, to be honest, prepared in a way I've never had duck before. The usual approach for duck (french, chinese, etc) is to get the skin crisp but this was soft and earthy.
Are there any other restaurants you recommend for this particular dish?
According to the local guys there, there are some very good spots where you can get this dish, plus other Balinese specialies:
1. Bambu Sari, Jl. Kahuripan 2, Kuta.
2. Warung Ole, Jl. Mahendradatta 100, Denpasar.
3. Warung Gosha, Jl. Tukad Gangga 28, Denpasar
4. Bebek Luwung, Jl. Raya Luwus, Bedugul Km 34, 6, Tabanan.
5. Ayam Betutu Khas Gilimanuk (chicken version of the dish), Jl. Merdeka 88, Denpasar.
If price is not an issue, try:
1. Raja's Balinese Cuisine, Nusa Dua Beach Hotel. Ronald Reagan was here during his visit to Bali back in 1993.
2. Bebek Bengil, Jl. Padang Tegal, Ubud - one of Bali's most oft-mentioned eateries. They serve crisp, deep-fried ducks here.