Results of most recent food shopping trip
Thanks for the recs, my latest trip included:
1. SLM: lobster mushrooms, cabbages and nice root vegetables, Alex cheese (Italian cheese), witteven meat (duck confit, duck and hens), Seafood: Italian saltwater fish (we really had not planned on going, but were so tired of driving around after being stalled on the highway, we broke down and saved ourselves visits to multiple other locations)
2. International Cheese: imported cheeses, reduced grape in a bottle for sauces and desserts, scamorza cheese and warm ricotta - - - - must...eat....warm...ricotta!
3. Vince Gasparro's: bought some pork there, and unfortunately, the lamb racks weren't in and to arrive in the afternoon. We couldn't wait. Very friendly and helpful service.
4. Diana's Grocery on St. Clair: great olive oil and some general groceries, case of raw olives for home curing, prickly pears and some nice peppers as well as the more italian style broccoli rabe not the kind found in regular grocery store.
5. Diana's Seafood: seafood of all kinds, mediterranean fish
6. San Anotnio Fish Market: Woodbridge: fish galore, scampi with heads on, seppia, razor clams, and more! Bought some good dried pasta, frozen case of langoustines from Cuba (won't buy anything from Thailand or China), white langoustines, Christmas chocolates and sweet breads - serivce with a smile!
7. Tre Mari bakery: bread, buns. Bought a large b ox of cookies, and a large box of cannoli and other desserts. Very disappointing: stale cookies and soggy cannoli. Short staffed, trying hard but just short staffed. Need to find a new cookie and cannoli place.
8. PImenton and Pasquale Bros for some spanish goods - pricey, but good , especially Pimenton; will continue to look for a comprehensive Spanish grocery stop.
Muchies throughout the day: custurd tarts at nova era bakery, porchetta sandwich and soup at La Porchetta, Gelato from La Paloma an disappointing stale cookies and soggy cannoli from Tre Mari Bakery on St. Clair.
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations everyone. I'm good for another couple of months.
2101 Lawrence Ave E, Toronto, ON M1R, CA
16 Goodrich Rd, Toronto, ON M8Z, CA
681 Mt Pleasant Rd, Toronto, ON M4S, CA
857 Bloor St W, Toronto, ON M6G, CA
Fish Market Restaurant
54 St York, Ottawa, ON K1N5T1, CA
1 Bass Pro Mills Dr, Thornhill, ON L4K5W4, CA
Have you been to San Remo bakery? Everything there is good, it would have been a better choice than Tre Mari bakery.
I think you live in Hamilton, there are quite a few Italians there so I'd think you could find everything you are looking for closer to home.
I live in the US now, originally from SW Ont. Asked about Hamilton because I was going for a wedding. I was thinking San Remo or La Rose for Italian desserts next time. I am thinking about Gelatiere next time too; haven't been in a year.
I also want to find another source for good fresh mushrooms (lobster or other exotic) other than oyster or King Oyster or regular as well as reasonably priced frozen porcini mushrooms.