Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > San Francisco Bay Area >
Nov 13, 2011 12:23 AM

Gammon joint in Berkeley

Can anyone recommend a butcher or a store in Berkeley where I can find a gammon joint? Or perhaps an equivalent cut? I'm trying to make an English recipe for honey-glazed gammon joint and it involves simmering the gammon for a couple hours. I'm afraid that if I get the wrong cut and boil it, it will become tough. I know that gammon is a UK term, and I don't know what an equivalent cut is. The gammon comes from the hind leg and is mildly cured, so it sound a lot like a leg ham. I wonder if it is the same.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. in amerika we call the hind leg 'ham' and if you're describing a slow, long,cooking it would be nearly impossible to make tough unless you let it dry out. if you talk to a few butchers and find one who understands the British terms, you can confirm that gammon and ham are different words for the same thing, or a British cookery book written for the U.S. market would do the same. Generally, people here assume the word 'ham' refers to meat, or the bone in joint , that's been baked, salt cured, or smoked, but some butchers/meat depts. will have the uncooked, uncured, skin-on joint as well, if that's what you want.

    1. If you're looking in Berkeley, I'd say try the Local Butcher Shop at Shattuck and Cedar. Since they break down whole animals, they ought to be able to provide you with the cut you need.

      The Local Butcher Shop
      1600 Shattuck Ave #120, Berkeley, CA 94709

      2 Replies
      1. re: Spatlese

        In contemporary parlance, gammon is the same cut as ham but only cured, not smoked or cooked. In old cookbooks, it's just that particular joint of raw pork.

        TLBS can definitely get you that cut, we talked with them about it. They could probably brine it for you as well for an extra charge, though that's not hard to do.

        1. re: Robert Lauriston

          Thanks! I suspected that gammon was just ham. That makes it much easier to look for.

      2. Gammon is really nothing but ham. It is most often served as a "gammon steak" with eggs, which is a popular pub meal. It is not a country ham. The wet Wiltshire Cure is used in the UK for gammon and bacon. There is a US source; you can get a gammon joint here: A British recipe will assume that you are using a cured product. A gammon joint is not the same as a "fresh ham," which is not cured.