Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Nov 11, 2011 10:35 PM

What is a gammon joint?

I know this is a UK term. I'd like to know what cut is equivalent to the gammon joint. I saw on one other post that a picnic shoulder is the same thing. Can anyone else verify that?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. according to (a website for the global pig industry) it is a ham joint which has been cured like bacon. It is different from a bacon joint in that it is a different cut, although a bacon joint can be used as a lower quality alternative. Gammon can be smoked or unsmoked. I don't think shoulder is typically used.

    1. Gammon is made from the leg not the shoulder.
      I know US and UK terms and cuts are different.
      This is a helpful guide to UK pork cuts.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Paprikaboy

        Anyone know how I can get a gammon joint in the US? What should I ask the butcher? Would any cured cut from the leg be equivalent?

      2. It is a cured cut from the hind leg. It can be used in Ireland and the U.K. in a boiled dinner of bacon, cabbage and potato. My Mom called it "a joint", "a piece of bacon" or "boiling bacon" although boiling bacon isn't exclusively a gammon joint - confusing, I know. I'm not a butcher but I think this is what is called a ham shank in the U.S.

        This article from the Delia website discusses the issue of the incorrect use of "gammon" and "bacon joint" interchangebly.

        And more here

        Whatever it is called, it is delicious.

        1. Gammon is an old word for ham. You can see the connection in the French word for ham, jambon (soft j) or the Spanish word for ham, jamon (say the j like an h).

          1. I worked in meat departments over the years in the U.S. From what I can determine here is that in the U.S. this cut would typically be labeled as a Smoked Ham, Shank Portion. Ham in the U.S. are usually of 2 different cuts. Butt Portion and Shank Portion.

            3 Replies
            1. re: jimant60

              In the UK, a gammon joint may be smoked or unsmoked. As might gammon steaks.

              What differentiates it from ham is that, whilst both are cured, gammon needs to be cooked. Think of it exactly like bacon, but taken from the leg.

              1. re: Harters

                GR does a good job with a "gammon" on this vid. Watch part two also.

                1. re: Puffin3

                  Pretty much how we'd treat the Christmas gammon, as well. We vary the glaze between sugar, honey and maple syrup but also mix in a sizeable dollop of mustard (cos ham has to have mustard). It does leave the most superb stock for soup.