BBQ Tasting: The results are in.
Close to 40 Hounds and others met yesterday for a blind BBQ tasting. We tasted pork ribs from 10 places and brisket from 5 places. The participants kept careful track of which meat was which and used rated the items on:
-- Meat (tenderness, quality, flavor)
-- Overall Taste.
We toted up the results on the Overall ratings and they are below. We had some repeats of ratings from earlier tastings, found some new favorites, and confirmed our belief that the best ribs and the best brisket don't necessarily come from the same establishment.
And now to the ratings, on a 5-point scale: Drum roll, please! Fourth place for ribs was a tie.
*** RIBS ***
1. Woodys on Slauson near Cresnshaw. Overall rating: 3.8
2. ribs from a private club in Santa Monica supplied by Tom Swift. Overall rating: 3.6
3. Baby Blues, 444 Lincoln Blvd., Venice. Overall rating: 3.5
4. Zeke's, Montrose. Overall rating: 3.4
4. JayBee's, Gardena. Overall rating: 3.4
5. Prayer Assembly Church of God, ElSegundo & Avalon (only available Friday and Saturday) Overall rating: 3.3
6. Rib Nest, 1766 W. ElSegundo, Gardena. Overall rating: 3.0
7. Dr. Hogly Wogly, 8136 Sepulveda Blvd., Panorama City. Overall rating: 2.9
8. Phillips, 2619 Crenshaw. Overall rating: 2.8
9. Joey's, 117 W. 2nd, Pomona. Overall rating: 2.6
*** BRISKET ***
1. Phillips, 2619 Crenshaw. Overall rating: 3.4
2. Joey's, 117 W. 2nd, Pomona, Overall rating: 3.2
3. JayBee's, Gardena. Overall rating: 3
4. Rib Nest, 1766 W. ElSegundo, Gardena. Overall rating: 2.7
5. Dr. Hogly Wogly, 8136 Sepulveda Blvd., Panorama City. Overall rating: 2.5
re: Burger Boy
My assigned source was Hogly-Wogly but I got a last minute heads-up that a sudden influx of people required additional meat. The ribs were readily available and on the way to the venue. It's really no different than the meat from some outstanding place in Texas that was brought in as a ringer at the last tasting.
re: Chino Wayne
That was me! Pancit Malabon, which is a pretty traditional filipino dish. Very popular accompanyment for phillipine BBQs.
A little break from the norm...plus my family (dad's side of the family is from Malabon in the phillipines) had ordered it the previous week for easter (don't worry, I got a new batch that morning) from Manila Sunrise in Carson on Main Street, next to St. Philomena church.