Heading to Denver next week, a couple of questions!
- Firegoat Oct 13, 2011 10:30 AM
I am heading to downtown Denver next week for two days. Middle of the week trip ... Wed/Thurs. I have two questions for all you great foodies out there.....
1) Great have to go to restaurant in downtown?
2) I think they sell Durian at the Pacific Ocean Marketplace... is this true? I'm dying to try Durian and can't get any in Tulsa.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments in advance!
O boy, there are a lot of good ones downtown - Bistro Vendome, Ocean, Oceanaire, Sushi Sasa, Osteria Marco, Cholon, The Palm, and more. If you dig through previous posts - you'll find a lot.
1453 Larimer, Denver, CO 80202
2401 15th Street, Suite 80, Denver, CO 80202
1420 Larimer Street, Denver, CO 80202
1) Check out this list of the 25 "best" restaurants in Denver; hard to go wrong with any of these: http://www.5280.com/magazine/2011/10/.... Personally I'm excited to try Fruition and ChoLon - never been to either, but I've heard amazing things.
2) POC does have durian. Also, several of the Vietnamese restaurants on Federal have durian smoothies if you want to try it in a restaurant setting and not have to prepare it yourself.
Rioja, TAG and ChoLon all would be excellent options. I'd also recommend Z Cuisine just outside of downtown. It would be a short cab ride, you must get there early (before 6) as they don't take reservations. Best duck confit I've ever had. You can also eat at the Absynthe bar 2 doors down, but their menu is more limited.
1431 Larimer Street, Denver, CO 80202
My sister (who was paying) looked at some of my suggestions from here plus talked to the motel concierge, and decided she was in the mood for seafood and wanted Oceanaire. Was close to the Ritz so we were able to walk there easily (and more importantly walk a little bit afterward.) Had a great time. Not too busy at all on a Wednesday night even without reservations. We shared a lump crabcake appetizer. Delicious! My sister had a blackened blue mahi mahi, I had one of the chef's specials of the day described on the menu as this "MASSACHUSETTS DIVER SCALLOPS
Kobacha Squash Puree, Pecans, Herb Oil
with Cherry Sauce De los Muertos"
It was ridiculously good. The scallops were the best I've ever had... even when on the coast. The combination of flavors with the sauces was intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion! Oh and service was efficient and friendly, but not annoying.
lol My sister wanted me to pick out some choices for dinner.... but said specifically (no chains).... then she came back with a recommendation for Oceanaire as well. I pointed out that it was indeed a chain.... :) Oh well, the food was great. The cherry sauce on the scallops was inspired.