HOME > Chowhound > Greater Boston Area >
What are you cooking today? Share your food adventure
TELL US

Looking for a good Saturday lunch spot in Somerville

steakman55 Oct 5, 2011 03:11 PM

Help....passing through and taking a nephew at Brandeis to lunch Saturday. Any good suggestions? Any type of food is OK....just as long as it is good. Price does not matter, but not extra fancy. Thanks

  1. Bob Dobalina Oct 6, 2011 05:04 AM

    Can get a great sandwich at Dave's Fresh Pasta in Davis. In fact, it's high time for me to have another Cubano.

    -----
    Dave's Fresh Pasta
    81 Holland St, Somerville, MA 02144

    1. rcastanon Oct 5, 2011 06:47 PM

      I'd encourage you to try Machu Pichu at 307 Somerville Ave. if you're looking for something interesting and reasonably priced. If you havent tried Peruvian food, you're missing out on simple but delicious food and great flavors. If you have tried it then you'll probably be glad there is a local place that serves authentic Peruvian cuisine. While different to Mexican, Brazilian and other Latin American flavors, here is something very special about Peruvian cuisine. More info at http://www.machupicchuboston.com/

      If you're looking for recommendations, I'd suggest choclo peruano, ensalada de quinua, pollo saltado, aji de gallina and definitely try ceviche mixto or leche de tigre, if you like fish/seafood.

      3 Replies
      1. re: rcastanon
        yumyum Oct 6, 2011 07:30 AM

        Machu Picchu, the restaurant, is alright. But I much prefer the smaller outpost featuring their charbroiled chicken which is just across the street. One of my favorite Somerville spots.

        A few other Somerville lunch options:

        Istanbu-lu -- excellent Turkish in Teele Square
        Olde Magoun's Saloon -- friendly better than average pub fare
        Dave's for a great sandwich

        -----
        Olde Magoun's Saloon
        518 Medford St, Somerville, MA 02145

        1. re: yumyum
          t
          Tonality666 Oct 6, 2011 07:55 AM

          +1 Olde Magoun's, one of da 'ville's best lunch spots. Try the house-cured corned beef brisket!

          1. re: Tonality666
            yumyum Oct 6, 2011 08:12 AM

            I LOVE it there, and have made my way thru 80% of the menu at this point. It is my mission to work through the other 20% this fall and winter.

            For those who like pumpkin ales, they have about 10 on board right now, and a bunch of other seasonal stuff.

      2. Locutus Oct 5, 2011 03:14 PM

        ..........3..2..1

        Soundbites on Broadway in Mcgoun square

        2 Replies
        1. re: Locutus
          t
          teezeetoo Oct 5, 2011 04:20 PM

          Kebab Factory - very good Indian buffet and excellent price. All star Sandwich Bar isn't far (Cambridge but in Inman Square a few minutes from Somerville line).

          -----
          The Kebab Factory
          414 Washington St, Somerville, MA 02143

          1. re: teezeetoo
            h
            hckybg Oct 5, 2011 04:30 PM

            A few seconds from Somerville! As a proud line-straddler, I take this very seriously.

            I'd add Moody Street in Waltham as a good option very close to Brandeis, or perhaps the sandwich counter at Dave's Fresh Pasta in Davis Square.

            -----
            Dave's Fresh Pasta
            81 Holland St, Somerville, MA 02144

        Show Hidden Posts