what to do with leftover cornbread?
- momskitchen Oct 2, 2011 05:44 AM
I've got a bunch left over from a dinner party....what should I do with it?
Add enough light cream or milk to crumbled cornbread to create a crust and press it into the bottom of a baking dish. Then create a baked, 7 layer taco dip (refried beans, browned ground beef or grilled diced chicken, shredded cheese, red or black beans, etc.) on top of that crust and bake until the cheese is bubbly. Top with sour cream, slices of avocado and serve like a casserole.
I had a great side dish at a Shaker restaurant several years ago. It was a savory bread pudding made with cubes of cornbread and a custard of light cream and eggs, into which was stirred onions sauteed in butter until
golden, and herbs. In replicating it, I used summer savory, and for color, some chopped chives.
""what do you do with leftover cornbread?" < various things:
1. cut into cubes-season + a little oil bake and use as croutons for salad or soup
2. crumb + mix with fresh chopped herbs and melted butter- use as topping for vegetables (like au gratin brussels sprouts with bacon) or casseroles or mac+cheese
3. crumble and toss in yard on grass for the mountain critters that live here
4. crumble-mix into applescotch apple pie mix for a little texture bite and flavor