Need cream cheese based rugleach, not yeast raised
Seemed to have mis-placed my Bubbe's rugelach recipe. She was Hungarian, it is cream cheese based with either apricot or raspbery jam, then raisin nut filling in crescents. Looking to serve this as part of Rosh Hashonna celebration, please offer suggestions. Thanks!
Would you settle for cottage cheese? These are easy to whip up, tender and delicious. I've been using the recipe for years and have doubled it often so I could use other fillings like jam and chocolate chips as alternatives to the streusel filling. Double batches take almost no additional time since the disk-shaped assembly is so easy and fast.
Cottage Cheese Rugelach with Walnuts
makes 32 pieces
• 2/3 cup small curd cottage cheese
• 2/3 cup + 3 tbs. butter
• 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoon milk
1. Mix cheese and 2/3 cup of butter in a medium size bowl. Stir in the flour. Knead in the bowl until the dough is smooth, about 1 minute. It will be very soft and sticky but have no fear; when it's fully chilled it will roll out beautifully. Divide dough into 2 balls. Flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic; freeze until firm enough to roll, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of butter in processor. Blend almost until a smooth paste forms.
3. Preheat oven to 350˚. Roll out 1 dough disk on a lightly floured surface to 10-inch round. Spread half of the brown sugar mixture evenly over. Cut round into 16 wedges. Starting at the wide ends, roll up wedges. Bend ends in, forming crescents. Place on ungreased heavy baking sheets. Repeat rolling, filling, and shaping with the remaining dough.
4. Beat egg and milk to blend in a small bowl. Brush glaze over crescents. Bake until cooked through and light brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool.
5. NOTE: These cookies can be made up to 2 days in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.