Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Site Talk >
Sep 20, 2011 02:11 PM

degree sign on a computer

Locate the "character map" on your computer and you will see the degree sign °

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. And that would be Alt 248 on a PC, and Shift + Option + 8 on a Mac, but I wonder how important it is to use, a temperature numerically written pretty much states the obvious.

    5 Replies
    1. re: bushwickgirl

      And just for the record, in Windows you have to enter the ALT-248 on the numerical keypad, not with the number keys on the main QWERTY board.

      I tend to use "F" or "C" as a substitute for the degree sign - it makes clear both that it's a temperature I'm referring to and and which scale I'm using without driving myself nuts.

      1. re: bushwickgirl

        I actually use Alt-167 on the numerical keypad of my PC to produce º. Alt-248, I see, produces a smaller version: ° vs. º

        1. re: Caitlin McGrath

          Always used ALT 0176. Never realized other alternatives were out there.

          1. re: stevenb30

            Alt 167 comes out with a little hyphen under it in word, but not here. Odd.

            Anyway, I add the symbol because I'm a geek and like the fact that I know these things, and not for any other reason. ;-)

        2. re: bushwickgirl

          kool. Never knew that! °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°