exploring spicy Chinese lunchtime food in Queens?
I'm on leave this year and want to go from Manhattan at least once a week to Queens to explore the cuisine. I have been to nothing in Queens so all suggestions are welcome. Here are my criteria:
1. I prefer Chinese food (with a bit of a nod to Vietnam) to other ethnic cuisines;
2. I love spicy
3. I love tripe and beef tongue.
4. I need an English-language menu or some waiter guidance
5. I will be by myself so ordering lots of different dishes to share won't be an option (but bringing leftovers back home could be).
6. this will probably sound like a weird requirement but I am a non-stop reader so I'd love places where I can read while dining. Noise level is not an issue but lighting and being able to sit down and read for a while without interruption are (so traveling an hour each way just to eat at a stand or cart is not my top choice).
7. I am on a limited budget so prefer holes-in-the-wall to upscale.
8. I need something not too far from a subway line that is direct or one or so changes from downtown Manhattan.
I'm open to all suggestions.
Jiang Li – Northern/Manchurian:
Rural - Manchurian
Spicy & Tasty:
Yi Lan Halal Chinese:
New World Mall Food Court:
Kathryn’s Excellent Flushing Food Tour: