HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What's your latest food project? Share your adventure

What is this Utensil? Thrift store find.

LJWscooking Sep 4, 2011 09:34 AM

I found this utensil at a thrift store for 30 cents. It is made of enamaled metal with a wooden handle. It only opens as wide as you see in the picture. Inside you can see little bumps, why? does it squeeze something? make something? Help please.

  1. m
    Molly James Sep 4, 2011 11:06 AM

    I have that. Surprisingly, it's both a nut cracker and a bottle opener (or so says the package insert).

    I bought mine about 10 years ago from QVC. They came in a package of two. There should be a spring connecting the two halves. I think you can see the hole for it in the second picture, right side, toward the top.

    It works pretty well as a nutcracker on larger nuts. Never tried it to open bottles. I don't know that the missing spring will have an impact on it's use as a nutcracker.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Molly James
      LJWscooking Sep 4, 2011 11:19 AM

      OMGosh thank you. Yes, I see two holes drilled near the "basket" part of the tool. I don't quite see how the spring would stay fixed in there, but wow, interesting!

      1. re: LJWscooking
        Molly James Sep 4, 2011 11:29 AM

        You're welcome. Here are a couple of pictures for you.

        The first is the package insert and the second shows the spring.

        1. re: Molly James
          LJWscooking Sep 4, 2011 06:52 PM

          Oh thanks so much. I see where the little spring goes now. the Nut Master...wwooo funny! neat tool, I appreciate these photos.

    2. r
      rccola Sep 4, 2011 09:49 AM

      bottle/jar opener? seems to be graduated in the size of the lid it would fit.

      1. Scrapironchef Sep 4, 2011 09:46 AM


        2 Replies
        1. re: Scrapironchef
          dratlover Sep 4, 2011 09:49 AM

          It looks like something that can open lids off of various sizes of jars or bottles.

          1. re: dratlover
            rccola Sep 4, 2011 09:55 AM


        Show Hidden Posts