HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
What have you made lately? Get great advice
TELL US

help with pickles!

i
ibaumann Sep 3, 2011 10:08 PM

Hi all,
need some help from the masses - just made some homemade pickled mini peppers. Thought i would just do a simple, quick pickle - ate them after an hour and were already pretty tasty. Then started getting paranoid about the dangers of botulism, and after scouring the internet, am convinced ive cooked up a lovely batch of botulism. Not positive if i followed the recipe to an exact tee (as all the botulism warnings told me to do), and also didnt use hot containers. Are my pickles safe to eat? I figured since theyre refrigerated and im not planning on saving them for months, that they're fine to eat in the next week.
any thoughts?? I would have just kept eating them and probably been fine were it not for my creeping self-doubt. Help out a homemade pickle maker!

  1. cowboyardee Sep 3, 2011 11:01 PM

    You're probably fine, as long as you didn't go real easy on the acid. Roughly - what did your pickling solution consist of?

    Also - this is almost certainly overkill, but if you can't get the fear of botulism out of your head, you can always denature any botulism toxin by boiling the mix for ~10 minutes.

    1. a
      acgold7 Sep 3, 2011 11:00 PM

      It's a little hard to help if we don't know A) the recipe and B) what you did or didn't do.

      Show Hidden Posts