lots of fresh tomatoes
Lucky you! I gave up trying to grow tomatoes in this fog belt we call San Francisco. I dream of slices of a sun-warmed tomato with mayo, s&p on white bread — but, I'd enjoy it on multi-grain bread with cucumber and sprouts or fresh basil leaves, too.
I like the canning, oven dried, and the marinara sauce suggestions. You'll be very happy when the winter doldrums hit.
If you are going to make tomato soup, I think this one without cream is actually better than the cream type:
Roasted Fresh Tomato Soup
4-5 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, sliced in half (I like mixing plum and regular ones)
5 cloves garlic, peeled
3 large shallots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 large handful fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon agave nectar
Preheat oven to 425. Toss the tomatoes, garlic and shallots with the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, with the tomatoes cut side up. Bake for 45 minutes.
Transfer the tomatoes, garlic and shallots (along with any accumulated juices) to a large saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Puree in a blender or using an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I had very good luck with just slicing the tomatoes and laying them on the pizza before baking. Spread a very thin gloss of olive oil, tomatoes, whatever else you want and cheese. Baked at about 400 or over a hot grill on a grilling stone. Delicious! These were Black Russian variety tomatoes, not plum or paste,
Thanks! that sounds fantastic, but not to be a pill but I like a smoother sauce, the texture of fresh tomatoes just isn't something I am crazy about-I know I know-sacrilege!
I found this but I think it would be better to cook the garlic in oil
* 6 to 8 Plum Tomatoes
* 2 Tbs Chopped, fresh Basil
* 2 Tbs Chopped, fresh Oregano
* 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
* 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
* 1 Tsp Salt
* 1/2 Tsp Pepper
1. Carefully put tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for 20 seconds.
2. Retrieve them with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl of ice water to cool.
3. When cool enough to handle, use a paring knife to remove the core end of the tomato and peel away the skin.
4. Cut tomatoes length wise and seed tomatoes.
5. Coarsely chop tomatoes by hand or food processor and put into a sauce pan, adding remaining ingredients to the pan as well.
6. Simmer sauce for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
For a smoother sauce blend this best pizza sauce recipe in a food processor until the desired consistency is achieved. The sauce can be refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for a week or two, or frozen.