HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Discussion

Rehydrating chinese mushrooms

My parents used to use sugar when rehydrating the dried mushrooms, my question, is, does anyone know how much sugar to use, I've tried it, but, I can't get rid of that dried taste in the mushroom after cooking. TIA

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. I've never heard of using sugar. My parents and the cooks at our restaurant over the years didn't use sugar either. During the very initial soaking stage, water was changed a couple of times. Then mushrooms were left to sit in water. They're also good to leave soaking in the fridge.
    Perhaps it's a matter of draining and re-freshing water, or the quality of your mushrooms?

    2 Replies
    1. re: growinggourmet

      Thank s everyone for all your input, I think it is a very localised recipe that my parents used (shiyap) I'll need to ask my Aunties, who are familar with using sugar in the rehydration of dried mushrooms. they would come out very full and tender, it didn't matter what the quality of the dried mushrooms were, not leatherery that you can sometimes get in restaurants, because they just don't spend the time rehydrating them property.

      1. re: ceedoubleyou

        Here goes, try this for re-hydrating dried mushrooms:

        Soak mushrooms in water over night, then drain water and squeeze water out of mushrooms, then cover the under side of mushrooms with sugar and leave for a minimum of 2-3 hours, then flush with running water for 30-40 minutes.

        To cook, use raw chicken fat, (but any fragrant oil will do) to start cooking in a very hot pot/pan, once fat has broken down stir in mushrooms with a lil' salt and cover with stock/water and simmer for at least an hour, adding more water/stock as neccesary.

        You get a really nice spongy mushroom, which still has a texture to it. I tried it the other day and I achieved the result I was after.

    2. I can only speak for Shitake and Black Woodear,using 5-7 pounds per year.I place in a 32oz pyrex cup,cover with boiling water,weight with a saucer to keep them under.When room temperature I give a good sniff.99.9% of the time the aroma is wonderful,stir and lift them out with fingers.I don't discard the water,often there is some grit solved by pouring off the top with only the loss of an ounce.Great addition to soup,stock and wine reductions.The mushrooms are recipe ready for long cooking,more than 20 minutes; soups and stews.For quick recipes often I resoak in cold water after checking texture with my fingers,careful to avoid mushy.

      1. i'm wondering if you're either not soaking long enough or the shrooms you've bought are impossibly old.

        1. What do you mean by 'dried taste'? Are you saying they are still dried (in part) or that there's some taste (as opposed to texture) that you associate with 'dried'?

          Don't forget that the stems are to hard to eat, regardless of whether they are dried or fresh.

          1. I rehydrate mushrooms in 16-ounce or 32-ounce plastic soup containers filled to the very top only with water (and with lids applied). Adding sugar was never a consideration because IMO it would spoil the taste of the mushroom for me. That 'dried taste' you make reference to might mean that you have to change sources to be quite honest. That "taste" might be indicative of old and dirty.

            These containers