HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Are you making a specialty food?

What on earth is a Salmon Tenderloin?

piano boy Aug 10, 2011 11:54 PM

I saw this the other day at a restaurant trying way too hard to be trendy. I laughed and asked the waitress what part of the salmon was the tenderloin. She explained that it's the piece of meat on the side of the fish. I nodded understandingly and went with something else.

Doesn't the definition of "loin" exclude all fish immediately?

Someone please enlighten me.

  1. Tripeler Aug 11, 2011 12:23 AM

    Right. Fish have loins, didn't you know?

    1. m
      Maximilien Aug 11, 2011 03:26 AM

      just google it... it looks to be the filet that is cut across...

      1. f
        ferret Aug 11, 2011 05:18 AM

        At some point the "loin" term was created for fish to designate a filet cut that is more uniform in section and appearance. The frozen slabs for sushi are all referred to as "loins." It's marketing shorthand.

        1. iluvcookies Aug 11, 2011 08:14 AM

          Perhaps it is something served with Farm-picked broccoli?


          1 Reply
          1. re: iluvcookies
            arashall Aug 11, 2011 08:35 AM


          2. Kagemusha Aug 11, 2011 02:16 PM

            Waitress: "You want those loins girded or not, honey?"

            I guess salmon loins are somewhere between the shoulder and rump, right?

            Any salmon brisket on the menu?

            4 Replies
            1. re: Kagemusha
              grangie angie Aug 11, 2011 02:26 PM


              1. re: Kagemusha
                2roadsdiverge Aug 11, 2011 02:28 PM

                I always get the chicken lips appetizer before my salmon tenderloin.

                1. re: Kagemusha
                  Tripeler Aug 11, 2011 05:44 PM

                  Salmon shoulder! Sounds ideal for barbecue.
                  There is a place in Canada (BC) called Salmon Arm.

                  1. re: Tripeler
                    9lives Aug 13, 2011 05:39 AM

                    I've heard salmon shoulder referred to as the area behind the jaw...sort of like hamachi Kama/collar. Most fish mongers will sell the filleted salmon carcass for a few cents or give them away...real good eating.

                2. drongo Aug 12, 2011 03:49 PM

                  I suspect there's a marketing analogy being made between filet mignon being cut from the beef tenderloin -- and being the most tender (and expensive) cut of beef. So the most tender (and expensive) salmon fillet must come from the salmon tenderloin??

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: drongo
                    jumpingmonk Aug 12, 2011 05:12 PM

                    I'm not 100% sure but I think this is the same part of the fish that, when smoked is sold by McKenzie as the "Laird's Cut"

                  2. 9
                    9lives Aug 13, 2011 05:42 AM

                    I don't think I've heard of salmon fillets called loins. Maybe it's a regional thing.

                    Tuna is commonly referred to as "loins"..or quartered.


                    1. l
                      LovinSpoonful Aug 13, 2011 12:17 PM

                      What a bunch of nonesense. If you have cleaned a salmon you know there are two piece of meat on it. The right fillet and the left fillet. And every inch of it tastes exactly the same.

                      4 Replies
                      1. re: LovinSpoonful
                        Delucacheesemonger Aug 13, 2011 12:57 PM

                        May taste the same, but different areas have different textures. As mentioned the shoulder and the area beneath the jaw. OTOH would suspect the tenderloin is what used to be called a salmon' steak, with or without the bone, cut across the fish not filleted.

                        1. re: LovinSpoonful
                          eclecticsynergy Aug 13, 2011 10:17 PM

                          Ah, but is it our right side, or the salmon's right side? Maybe they should more, um, rightly, be called port and starboard...

                          1. re: eclecticsynergy
                            9lives Aug 14, 2011 05:21 PM

                            I'm guessing you're joking but fish are referred to as left/right. Google summer/ winter flounder. Winter flounder/fluke hasboth eyes on the right side. Summer flounder on the left . Head being the reference point. If you're not sure, [ut your finger in it's mouth. If you get a nice chunk ripped out, you got a fluke..:)

                            1. re: 9lives
                              eclecticsynergy Aug 14, 2011 11:35 PM

                              Was joking, 9lives, but thanks for the info on left/right.
                              And about summer/winter flounder- a fluke of nature... literally. : )

                        2. Veggo Aug 13, 2011 01:09 PM

                          salmon tenderloin should be in a dictionary of wacky critter terms, after chimera and jackalope, and before tail of guinea pig and unicorn.

                          1 Reply
                          1. re: Veggo
                            eclecticsynergy Aug 13, 2011 10:18 PM

                            Can take its place in the unlikely foods lexicon alongside wing of buffalo.

                          Show Hidden Posts