Raw celery and mushrooms, the danger of.
I've been getting some flak for eating raw celery and button mushrooms.
Something about psoralens and hydrazines.
Seems pretty minor to me.
Most everyone eats these vegetables raw anyway.
Anybody have a good refutation?
The original comment has been removed
Guess we better contact all those country clubs still serving celery with cream cheese as their appetizer.
No need of a good refutation for me - your post is the only mention I've heard that there might be problem. Until my government's food standards agency raises a serious issue, I'm going to be continuing to eat raw celery and mushrooms (both are which are far better like that than cooked)
The compounds are dangerous. The raw foods do contain them. If you enjoy them, do continue to eat them. Whomever is giving you flak, ask them this simple question: In what concentration are the toxins a risk for me? I doubt you'll get an answer.
Every food has something that can kill you. It's not a question of whether or not something can be dangerous, but at what amount/concentration they become dangerous. I doubt you're eating enough raw celery and mushrooms to be significantly affected.
You can have a little fun with this. You can pick out a food that the person warning you likes and point out the potential dangers it has (and I guarantee that it has some).
dig up a toxicity report on water, tape something over the header so they can't read what substance it is, and stand back.
This was an exercise in a seminar I took years ago about reading MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) when I worked for a chemical company...not only is it a little unnerving, but gives you a whole new perspective on such things.
also, though I lost the link, regarding the mushrooms..pubmed.gov states that even at maximum doses, when tested on rats, hydrazine was not found to be carcinogens and should be reevaluated:
" A similar study carried out in mice revealed no macroscopic evidence of a carcinogenic effect of hydrazine (histology currently in preparation). According to these results, hydrazine is only weakly carcinogenic even after lifelong ingestion of unequivocally toxic doses. The classification of hydrazine as a "carcinogen" should therefore be re-evaluated."