Looking for a restaurant for a pre-interview dinner in South End
- meuri Aug 2, 2011 03:13 AM
I'm planning a dinner for a group of fellowship applicants the night before interviews at BMC, a group of about 12 people. Last year we did Stella and Addis Red Sea, both which worked out pretty well.
This year we're doing two Monday night dinners again. I've reserved Stella with their prix fixe menu for both dinners. However, I'm hoping to see if there are other restaurants in the area that would serve as well since the dinners are just a week apart and I like variety.
My needs are:
1. South End, within a reasonable walking distance from the Crosstown Hampton Inn where the applicants will be staying
2. A place that can seat 12 in a quiet(er) space where the applicants can converse with the faculty and allow us to get to know them without too much yelling, without having to pay extra for a private room
3. Fairly efficient service so they can get a good night's sleep before interviews
4. Price about $30-40 a person, not including alcoholic beverages.
As an example, Stella really did very well last year for us, since there is a second smaller room where they placed us that was pretty quiet on a Monday night. Similarly, Addis had a suitable noise level although the service was slow - food arrived 1.5 hrs after we ordered, so people were yawning by the end of dinner.
I would be open to any cuisines, although my current fellows are worried about picking something too obscure that might scare off less worldly applicants.
Thank you for your help!
1525 Washington St., Boston, MA 02118
Addis Red Sea Ethiopian Restaurant
544 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116
Check out Estragon. I think it is big enough and within your price range. I like the tapas selection very much and it is walkable from your starting point. i think the noise level is tolerable, particularly on a monday night which isn't likely to be jammed. it is open on monday.
Estragon is definitely a short walk.
Stephie's on Tremont has a private room.
South End Buttery is divided up into several small rooms, so it will be pretty quiet - they can advise how to seat 12.
note - last time I was at Stella's it was really loud.
South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue, Boston, MA 02118
418 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116