Restaurant Deals and Coupon Sites
- Jacquilynne Jul 6, 2011 02:07 PM
Some people like posts about restaurant deals, and other people loathe them. There's been a significant uptick in them on many of our city boards, and we'd like to try a new approach that will hopefully help people on both sides of the argument by making the deal posts easier to find for those who like them and easier to ignore for those who don't.
We're going to start a new thread specifically for restaurant deals on those of our urban boards where these coupon posts have been an issue:
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Ontario / Toronto
- Quebec / Montreal
We'll sticky them temporarily until people who post deals are aware they're there, and then allow them to float freely.
A couple of guidelines to keep in mind:
- You may not post deals with a referral link so that you get bonuses or payments for referring people. We know that sometimes that happens by accident, since it's not always clear that you're getting a referral link. We suggest logging out of the deal site and visiting the deal page to get a clean link. Normally, we make it a policy not to edit the content of user's posts without permission, however, in the case of deal threads, by posting, you're giving us permission to edit your link if it contains referral information. We will not edit any other text.
- Our usual Insider rules apply ( http://www.chowhound.com/topics/36760... ), so if you're associated with either the deal site or the restaurant, you may not post.
- Please don't post every deal indiscriminately. This is Chowhound, not Cheaphound -- pick deals that you think your fellow hounds will be genuinely interested in, because they're from restaurants worth visiting. And feel free to comment on your experiences with the restaurant or recommend dishes -- more chow tips will make the threads more helpful. And others should feel free to reply and discuss. If we end up with a good sub-thread with more than a few posts going about a specific restaurant, please just use 'report' to flag it, and the mods can split it out to its own thread.
- Restaurants and food-specific businesses only, please, no deals for gyms, spas, etc.
Unfortunately, we can't merge threads, so if people post deals outside of the deal threads, we can't move them to the thread. Please use 'report' to flag them for us, and we'll touch base with the poster to have it reposted.
If you have any comments, please share them below.
This is a good idea except for this:
If there is a large thread on a particular restaurant, and a user just wanted to post "There is a deal on this spot on Groupon today" that isn't allowed? I am not talking about making a new thread. I am just talking about making a post to an existing restaurant thread.
So, what I would like to see is "no new threads to post about a deal at a restaurant/food related, post in the GROUPBUY thread" however allow people to add to an existing restaurant thread.
Given that there are 40 different group deal sites in Toronto (nevermind the rest of the world).. and people may want to discuss not only the deal, but the restaurant - it seems that a single thread may become impossible to navigate. Just a thought.. time will tell.
p.s. Great writing.. love "cheaphound"
I think this as a sticky is a great idea; i read it often and post as well. didn't know if the mods might consider deleting past posts after a given time period, since they won't have future relevance (that i can think of.) Maybe in the case of posts that receive alot of discussion about that restaurant- that post would have future value, so those could be left in.
I agree that a sticky is the best place for the deals thread but that mentioning one on a particular restaurant's thread is also appropriate. If the deals thread floats, many people won't notice it and there will be more single-deal threads cluttering the city boards. The sticky thread should be winnowed (weekly?) to strain out the expired offers.
Some of the deal threads are getting pretty long so we're going to unsticky them and start new ones in their place so people don't have to scroll past 50 posts worth of expired deals to get to the new ones. We'll leave the threads with fewer deals alone for now.
This is a useful addition, though it doesn't seem to get much use on the LA board. Maybe, like myself, people didn't notice it?
Be that as it may................... is it possible to add a second Coupon and Deal sticky there that is just for Orange County? 3,000,000 people here, lots of whom don't get to LA all that often.