Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
Jun 30, 2011 04:11 PM

fridge and freezer broke - not sure if these things will stay good

I threw out or cooked all of the obvious suspects. But what about Cornichons, butter, tahini, olives, tamarind chutney, korean chili paste? They will have been left unrefrigerated for about three days when all is said and done. I'm assuming these things are all basically fine? Thoughts?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: DeppityDawg

      Forgot to add the thing I"m most concerned about. Homemade stock. It was frozen and will probably have been at room temperature for about 5 hours or so before fridge cools again. I'm thinking this should be dumped although I'm not happy about it!

      1. re: Aimee

        Others can weigh in, but if you bring it to a rolling boil for 5 minutes, it should be safe to eat again.

        1. re: sunshine842

          I agree with sunshine842. Maybe you can use some of it right now. Although it sounds like you might not be in the mood to cook at the moment...

        2. re: Aimee

          I'd say if it was frozen and only at room temp for five hours it's fine, but I agree with sunshine that you should re-sterilize it asap. I see it's too late now, but I would have put it on the stove on a low simmer as soon as it thawed and held it until the fridge/freezer were back online.

      2. couldnt u use a cooler and some dry ice?

        thats what we do during hurricanes....use/cook all the meats..etc..
        all the condiments and stuff that can stay goes into the cooler with dry ice or regular ice in no dry ice is available

        1. Serve safe guidelines state that an item prviously held under 41 degrees is ok for up to 6 hours as long as room temp is below 70 degrees.

          One thing I have to add, and I have said it on several different posts, is that neiter cooking or freezing of an item will make it safe if it has been in the food danger zone for too long (41-135). While high/low temps MAY reduce/kill bacteria and other pathogens to acceptable levels, toxins produced by those pathogens will still remain and can make you deathly ill. If you have to question it, be safe and toss it.