The leftover dilemma
- chowser Jun 28, 2011 09:40 AM
I hate throwing out food but there are some things that are hard to keep/reheat. What do you do w/:
1) dressed salad
4) if you have enough cookie dough to make 3-4 cookies but the tray is full and you can't make the cookies any larger, what do you do w/ the remainder?
5) leftover frosting when you don't plan on baking any time soon
1- i try and eat asap..or as a snack later that night...
2-depends on the fish
3-never have leftover steak....
5...usually never have leftover frosting...but the little that does remain in the bowl usually disappears somehow................
1. I make sure never to have leftover dressed salad.
2. Fish cakes
3. Composed salad, like a tuna niçoise, but with sliced steak. If am not home, husband loads up some of our homemade French bread with the steak, mustard and some cheese and eats over the sink.
4/5. N/A. Not a sweets person
dressed salad will hold a day or two, but i rarely have that issue.
fish and steak can go over salad, into breakfast eggs, or in a stir-fry.
cook off the cookie dough, even if just a few on a pan, or freeze it for next time.
left-over frosting? your cake needs more frosting then!
With fish, it depends on what type and what sort of sauce it's in, etc. Cakes are a good option, or throw onto a lunch salad. You can also do some good dips with different fish.
With steak, it depends on how well cooked it is. I like medium rare, which means it does reheat better. If you cook it to nearly well, I think all hope is lost. I refer to reheat it in liquid. So, thinly slice it - VERY thinly - then place in a pan of gentle simmering flavored broth just to re-heat. Remove and pile on a hoagie with sauteed onions and mushrooms for a great sandwich.
Cookie dough - place on parchment and freeze. Once they are frozen, throw them in a freezer bag. You can bake them later - even just one when you need it!
I eat the salad in a pita pocket to soak up the dressing, and add a couple of fresh vegs for crunch.
I don't save fish.
I make quesadillas or burritos with leftover steak. Sometimes I make a steak salad. I also freeze it and use it as above in a month or two.
Wait until the first batch is baked, then plop the remaining dough on the sheet and bake them too.
I don't make frosting much, but you can use it to frost storebought muffins.