Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Minneapolis-St. Paul >
Jun 25, 2011 06:04 PM

Twin Cities best onion rings?

About 97% of the time, my diet is pretty dang clean. But that remaining 3% gives me a little wiggle room, and if I'm going to wiggle it all, it'd be for onion rings.

I'm curious as to who Chowhounders would credit with the best onion rings? I work at a restaurant, so I'll leave my own [biased] opinion out (even though ours are pretty darn good... just sayin). No location restrictions - I'm in SW Minneapolis but all of MN is fair game!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. PLEASE! Chowhounds, respond to this! I am somewhat of a health freak....but my weakness is onion rings. None of those silly, spongy, doughnutty, thick, icky ones. Lovely crisp, thin ones, please!

    1 Reply
    1. re: sandylc

      Hahaha!! Well I'm really glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've made some "healthier" onion rings at home, but it's not even close to the same.

    2. Buster's. 28th and 42nd, SE Minneapolis. They won't be spongy or doughy (or doughnutty), but they won't be thin either.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Brad Ballinger

        I'll second the quality, but I remember the rings at Busters being pretty darn big...maybe I'm just thinking of the massive serving size.

        1. re: otps

          Their New York steak is very good. We go there a couple times a year, not a bad drive from here in the metro area.

        2. I was a Grumpy's on Washington the other night and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent onion rings! They were crisp, not too greasy, and easy to bite cleanly through (rather than dragging the whole slippery onion out with the first bite). Very tasty, and delivered piping hot from the fryer. Definitely a win. For sandylc's reference, they were maybe 3/8 of an inch thick-- not the thinnest I've seen, but not giant 1-inch honkers either.

          Grumpy's Bar & Grill
          1111 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55415

          1 Reply
          1. re: KristinT013

            Thanks! They don't need to be ultra thin - Half an inch or less is good with me. I just hate the ones that look like giant doughnuts.

          2. Hands down, Leo's in Stillwater.

            1 Reply
            1. re: jillbcooks

              I might be flamed for this, but Tavern on France's are very good. nice think breading with a little kick and a 1/4-3/8 thick piece of onion

              Tavern on France
              6740 France Ave S, Minneapolis, MN