Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jun 18, 2011 02:46 PM

Korean BBQ home cooking help

So as a big fan of Korean BBQ, I wanted to try preparing it at home. The only issue I have is find the dduk bo ssam (rice paper) and making the chadolbaegi (brisket) dipping sauce/soy sauce looking dipping sauce. I usually dont have a problem finding the meat, because I usually find it at the Super H Mart in Diamond Bar, but just the rice paper and the dipping sauce is the hard part. I live in Diamond Bar, but would like to know where I can find the rice paper at and how to do the dipping sauce. Please help???

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. you might wanna ask about the rice paper on the LA board. i did a search and there are some old threads from 07, but with the recession and many places going under or changing, it'd be best to ask anew., especially if you want to find it in a specific area as i see you mentioned Diamond Bar...

    1. The sesame dipping sauce for the chadolbaegi is usually just some salt - maybe about 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a few shakes of black pepper and toasted sesame oil (maybe about 2 tablespoons). And I'm not sure which of the soy sauce versions you've had, but if it's the one that tastes lightly of wasabi, you can make that by diluting the soy sauce with a bit of water - maybe 3 tablespoons soy sauce to 1 tablespoon water, and dissolving a small dollop (to taste) of wasabi and bit of sugar - maybe about 1/2 teaspoon. I also like to steep a clove of crushed garlic in it.

      As to the paper, I would think you'd be able to find it at H Mart in the refrigerated section. Sometimes it's where the mahndoo/gyoza wrappers are. Other times it's with the refrigerated pickled veg, but I'm not sure about the Diamond Bar location.

      Good luck, kid! ;)

      2 Replies
      1. re: inaplasticcup

        thanks. well last time i went to H mart, i tried to ask some of the workers, but then they didnt really know what we were talkin about in regards to the rice paper. Do you know what type of packaging it is or brand it is called?

        1. re: 123kid

          Ok. Maybe this will help! Print this out on a piece of paper in a much larger font size: 떡보쌈 and ask for TDUCK boh SSAHM (that's how you pronounce it). That should do it. :)