Hamburg - Tsao Yang Chinese @ Kempinski Hotel Atlantic
- klyeoh Jun 14, 2011 02:25 PM
Hamburg's not exactly a city where you can find good Chinese food. Tsao Yang offered basic Chinese dishes, ranging from wanton dumpling soups and steamed Cantonese dim sum to the Peking duck (served over 3 course at €66 per duck).
I came here for a basic meal this evenng:
- Yangzhou fried rice with eggs, shrimps & pork. This was a bit too dry & over-fried;
- Sweet-sour pork. I reckoned one can't go too far wrong with this, and Tsao Yang's Chinese chefs turned out as good a version as any I'd find in Hong Kong or Singapore;
- Scallops in a spicy-bean sauce, served on a hot plate, was delicious;
- Stir-fried aubergines with red & green capsicums, also served on a hot plate was my favorite dish - perfect texture and subtle flavors.
A surprisingly spicy chilli paste dip was served on the side.
Service by an all-German wait-staff (no Chinese waitresses in qipaos) was very prompt, efficient and extremely friendly. The restaurant's predominantly white-and-cream decor was pleasant, and the view over Lake Außenalster was priceless.
Kempinski Hotel Atlantic
An der Alster 72-79
Tel: 040 28004188