HOME > Chowhound > Cheese >
Do you create unique foods? Share your adventure
TELL US

New white mold on old partly-used brie - ok to eat?

b
brenv Jun 5, 2011 06:09 PM

I have a brie round that has been in the fridge a while. It now has some new white fluffy, fuzzy mold on the cut sides as well as on the rind. It's an Alouette brand round that was loosely wrapped in it's original packaging after eating half of it and left in a corner of the cheese drawer, not an artisanal or unpasteurized cheese.

The new mold looks just like what's on the rind only fluffier. Would you go ahead and eat it?

Thanks!

  1. m
    MRS Jun 5, 2011 06:10 PM

    1

    25 ewwww!!!!! Anything w/ "fuzzy" mold should be a definite throw-out!!!!!

    1. inaplasticcup Jun 6, 2011 01:36 PM

      I'd cut away the mold and perhaps a thin additional layer along with it and eat. (I know "layer" is kinda hard with brie, but you know, a little extra bit to make sure I've gotten the teeny tiny spores that might not have grown to be visible yet.)

      3 Replies
      1. re: inaplasticcup
        e
        ediblover Jun 6, 2011 02:37 PM

        Second the cut out and eat only the cheese.

        1. re: ediblover
          choctastic Jun 7, 2011 09:05 AM

          I did what inaplasticcup suggests and I didn't die.

          --oh and that was like 10 years ago so apparently this will work for at least 10 years.

          1. re: choctastic
            inaplasticcup Jun 7, 2011 09:38 AM

            LOL on the edit, choc.

      2. j
        janniecooks Jun 6, 2011 02:37 PM

        The cheese is old and widely available. It's a soft cheese and the mold spores are well below the surface. I'd toss it without reservation.

        1. m
          MRS Jun 7, 2011 03:39 PM

          Ok...guess I heard my mom in my head saying, " when in doubt, throw it out!". Sorry!

          1 Reply
          1. re: MRS
            choctastic Jun 9, 2011 08:07 AM

            No, no, I didn't mean to say that throwing it out is out of the question. If the cheese is just extra-funky, I throw it out. I should have specified that I would just cut out the moldy part if it's an isolated area.

            Here's another thread on this topic that might help.
            http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/727312

          2. lunchbox Jun 11, 2011 07:41 AM

            If the mold is jus tthe white stuff, it is the same stuff as the outside of the brie... the leathery skin is basically a layer of fluffy white mold that has been patted down as the cheese matured. Cut it away if you want to, but it is the same stuff.
            As for other colors of mold, brie is too moist for the "just cut some off" technique- if there's black mold, you really ought to pitch the whole thing. Amoniated smell = bad

            2 Replies
            1. re: lunchbox
              b
              bulavinaka Jun 11, 2011 10:54 AM

              I think other mold colors scream, "Alert!" as well. Orange or pink should never be looked upon as friendly from what I recall. Flowers, yes - mold, no.

              1. re: lunchbox
                sunshine842 Dec 22, 2013 07:07 AM

                a brie that smells of ammonia isn't necessarily toxic, but definitely over the hill and won't have a very nice flavor.

                Won't hurt you, just doesn't taste good.

              2. b
                brenv Jun 11, 2011 07:08 PM

                I agree with lunchbox that it's probably the same mold as on the rind an would be safe to eat. But, I decided not to take the chance and threw it out.

                Thanks everyone for the advice!

                1. c
                  CK101 Dec 22, 2013 04:56 AM

                  I know it's too late now, but I came here the other day with the same issue... throwing it away was the right choice. Having just a tiny piece of it even with an inch cut on either side (it was a big wheel) was the wrong choice.

                  I've been regretting it for three days now. Though on the up side, I might avoid the holiday weight gain thing this year.... but I've missed holiday parties, have no energy and am in pain...

                  I've now learned - soft cheese with mold: throw it out! It's just not worth it. Please learn from my mistake!!

                  1. sunshine842 Dec 22, 2013 07:06 AM

                    I realize you've already thrown it out -- but it was fine!

                    The fluffy white was just a sign that the living molds on the rind were alive and healthy -- actually a really good sign that your cheese was doing very well, and that you gave it a fantastic environment.

                    Blue, green, or white molds on cheese are natural and can be cut away or even eaten...pink or orange molds are toxic, and a sign that you need to toss the whole thing.

                    (I used to live in the Brie region, and it was considered a wonderful thing of your cheese molds grew back across the cut surfaces...it meant healthy cheese in a healthy environment)

                    Show Hidden Posts