HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What have you made lately? Share your food adventure

What is this utensil?

septocaine_queen Jun 5, 2011 02:27 PM

My MIL found this in her kitchen. It kind of reminds me of something you would use to eat crab with but I have no clue what the serrrated edges would be used for.

  1. Candy Jun 6, 2011 11:04 AM

    It looks like it could be used for sectioning citrus, I've checked my gadget catalogs or knife catalogs show it. Interesting though.

    1. m
      Molly James Jun 6, 2011 11:37 AM

      In a sense, it reminds me of a very old fashioned can opener, but I know it isn't.

      The serrated side is perplexing.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Molly James
        cleobeach Jun 6, 2011 11:52 AM

        I have one of those old fashion can openners at our cabin and it does resemble it.

        I too am curious about the serrated side.

      2. ttoommyy Jun 6, 2011 11:50 AM

        Sure it's not an old surgical tool? Looks scary! lol :)

        1. t
          ThreeGigs Jun 6, 2011 03:35 PM

          That kinda sorta looks like a knife I'd use to cut long sheets of things. Like carpet, linoleum or vinyl. Doesn't look strong enough to be a metal cutter, like a tin opener.

          1. septocaine_queen Jun 6, 2011 06:42 PM

            More details. Both edges are knife sharp, The serrated edges are sharp too. I put the blackberry in the picture to give sense of scale.
            The writing on it says:
            A.B. Ferrator
            Stainless Steel
            Made in Sweden

            1 Reply
            1. re: septocaine_queen
              ttoommyy Jun 7, 2011 06:09 AM


            2. Manybears Jun 7, 2011 06:19 AM

              I think it might be a fish-cleaning tool... (based on my limited google success).

              1 Reply
              1. re: Manybears
                Quine Jun 7, 2011 06:57 AM

                Same here,found a few pages of what is this? that needed translation, All said thought it was fish scaler knife. Interesting though.

              2. arashall Jun 7, 2011 06:53 AM

                I found it labeled as a Japanese fish scaler, complete with picture, in a package labeled fish scaler. Thanks for the good lead, Manybears!

                1. Quine Jun 7, 2011 07:01 AM

                  TA Da found it!


                  Fish Scaler Ref: VK76385
                  A stainless steel Fish Scaler with riveted hardwood handle.

                  Image link :

                  1. septocaine_queen Jun 7, 2011 08:58 PM

                    That is awesome. Thank you so much.

                    Show Hidden Posts