frozen gelato-type pistachio treat, North End, 1960s... does anyone know what it was?
- sfumato May 29, 2011 09:51 AM
My mother-in-law has been searching for a treat from her childhood in the North End (1950s-60s), and I figured this was a good place to pose the question!
* frozen gelato-type treat
* not too rich, so she thinks it was made with lowfat/skim milk (or perhaps water?)
* nut flavour, with whole pistachios
* looked like it was moulded in those low, wide individual terracotta flan molds
* came wrapped in waxed or parchment paper
* very hard consistency when first unwrapped (i.e. opposite of soft-serve ice cream)
They used to buy it at a pharmacy in the space now occupied by Cafe dello Sport (corner of Hanover and Prince St).
Does anyone know (more specifically) what it might have been and/or where it might have been made?