Trip Report - Maui
Thanks to all for great advice on my trip to Maui. I had a great time with some excellent food. Here are some highlights:
1. Merriman's for dinner - amazing food, beautiful setting, unique wine list and just very delicious. I think it was the best dinner I had all week, with the best dessert (their take on a pineapple upside down cake made from banana bread, with caramelized pineapple and glazed macadamia nuts
2. Local delicacies - I discovered Roselani ice cream at TIMES market, we got the Haupia flavor and I got a chance to sample the macadamia flavor too. Great stuff. I also enjoyed those little coconut cookies, I found a guy at the craft fair who makes amazing macaroons, and of course POG.
3. Star Noodle - I liked this place, and its odd location (at the top of a hill in an industrial warehouse park) lent itself to a stunning sunset. Wonderful pork buns, pad thai, garlic noodles and other goodies, and fairly inexpensive too.
4. Lahaina Grill - I liked this one a lot too, good choices beyond fish (I was getting a little fished-out by the end of the week), I got the kalua duck confit. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff.
5. Hali'imale General Store - we went upcountry one day, had lunch here and it was worth the trip. I got a whole ahi napoleon to myself (most of my family didn't want raw fish) and I gotta say the recommendations were right. My wife got the ribs and they were also delicious.
6. Ulu Lani Shave Ice - we went twice and I want to keep going to try all their flavors. They're artists, very original and friendly. My favorite was the coconut with cream and shaved coconut with mac nut ice cream on the bottom.
7. Kihei Caffe for breakfast - I liked Kihei, it's a bit more funky and relaxed than Ka'anapali or Lahaina. I had a delicious cinnamon roll - maybe the best one I can remember - and their pork fried rice with fried eggs on top. What a great breakfast. The yolk runs down into the rice, which is loaded with bacon and crispy bits of portuguese sausage.
127 Lahainaluna Rd., Lahaina Maui, HI 96761
1945 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753
286 Kupuohi St, Lahaina, HI 96761