HOME > Chowhound > Chicago Area >
What's your latest food project? Tell us about it


Querencia May 19, 2011 07:06 AM

Years ago in Chicago I used to be able to buy "dry curd cottage cheese" for making European-style cheesecake. I can no longer find it. 1) Has anyone seen it anywhere, possibly in an ethnic market, and 2) Can "farmer's cheese" be substituted for it in cheesecake recipes---or is farmer's cheese more like a cream cheese?

  1. f
    ferret May 19, 2011 07:48 AM

    Farmer's cheese would be a good substitute, it's what my European mother always used.

    1. l
      leigh58 May 19, 2011 08:02 AM

      dry curd cc is called ricotta, in any supermarket.

      1. d
        Delphine May 19, 2011 08:29 AM

        Hi, my family uses dry cottage cheese to make a savory (European) strudel I live in Southern Ca. now and ask the dairy department of my supermarket to special order it for me. If I can find farmers cheese I also use that. I think that ricotta has a different texture.

        1 Reply
        1. re: Delphine
          ferret May 19, 2011 09:21 AM

          Depending on the ricotta it can be much different. Sometimes the small containers are almost cream-cheesey and the deli offerings can be wet. Farmer's cheese is the dry-curd equivalent - at least that's what my mother believed.

        2. l
          lbs May 19, 2011 09:36 AM

          I'll be stopping by HarvesTime this weekend. I know they have farmers cheese but I'll take a closer look at the cheese area.

          1. m
            MichealBinetti Jun 7, 2011 11:01 AM

            Hi, my wife and i are from Italy and she uses ricotta whenever she runs out of dry curd cottage cheese. However, we also order cheese online through www.idealcheese.com and they deliver it right to our doorstep. they offer authentic gourmet cheeses. you may try logging to thier site and check it out. hope it helps.

            Show Hidden Posts