Montmartre Bakery - What's good there?
Mainly I'm just looking for a decent loaf of bread. Same problem as I had downtown. However, if they have fun, tasty stuff who am I to say no?
Quite a selection I like:
(1) German buns 'laugen brot' and pretzel. I found them the closest to the German bakery.
(2) Croissants, keep well in fridge. I warm them in very low heat oven to crisp them.
(3) During winter months they sell 'bienenstich' - real cream & almond squares
(4) Apple strudel. Not oversweetened and the apples are not mush.
(5) Their small dinner rolls are also crisp outside soft inside.
I live in Finch/DonMills and never went downtown for bread & groceries so can't compare to those bakeries discussed in other threads.
re: Brain of J
Beau loves the plain white sliced. Me, I'm addicted to the Italian bread. It's all I can do to not rip chunks off and eat it on the way home. Spectacular. Fresh sliced with a little butter it's as mouth-filling as I've experienced in this town. Montmartre is definitely THE Chow find of Scarborough.