I drive from Rhode Island to High Point, North Carolina to pick up my daughter from College.
I am always looking for a GREAT place to stop and eat. I would love to find someplace "JUST" off the Highway for a great wonderful meal. Maybe a nice "mom and pop" place. Where are all those GREAT DINERS ???? There has to be some right off the Highway. HELP !!
I seond and third Snyders. Snyder's Willow Grove. Google and if a green gauchy backprint shows up you're there. It's a time machine to the 50's.
A few exits South of there at 175 is Frank's Diner.
To be known, there are a ton of taco trucks/dives that are good but that doesn't seem what you're after. Seriously I hope you go to Snyders.
If anyone says G&M, it's within eyesight of Snyders, but may be the lowest quality of crabcake in the whole area.
7395 Cedar Ave, Jessup, MD 20794
Snyder's Willow Grove
841 N Hammonds Ferry Rd, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
re: Dennis S
We like the crab cakes at Olive Grove, 705 North Hammonds Ferry Road, Linthicum, MD 21090. G&M is a block up from Snyders...Olive Grove is another block past G&M.
$23 for a 2-large and lovely crab cake platter, all you can eat salad and bread sticks, baked potato and soggy veggies. The crab cakes even hold well and nuke the next day...and if you plan just right they occasionally have a buy one platter get one half off....which certainly makes it a nice if not gourmet dinner. I have never understood the lure of G&M....it was close to one of the worst crab cakes I've eaten but that may have been I was expecting so much more from all the local hype. Mary Ellen
Olive Grove Restaurant
705 N Hammonds Ferry Rd, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Going north to south:
Off I-95 between Baltimore and DC:
- Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD (love their poutine and small-plate appetizers)
- Cafe de Paris, Columbia, MD (French, maybe a little too fancy and about 15 minutes off the path)
- An Loi, Columbia, MD (Vietnamese grilled meats and pho)
- Trattoria da Enrico, Columbia, MD (no-frills Italian and pizza)
- Marathon Deli, College Park, MD (basic gyro and fries, a little off your path and watch the speed cameras)
- Urban BBQ, Silver Spring, MD (decent barbecue)
- Ray's the Classics, Silver Spring, MD (steaks, dinner only)
- KBQ Real BBQ, Bowie, MD (pretty good brisket and unusual sides, but about 15 minutes off your path in each direction)
If you're willing to go down MD-295 instead:
- Timbuktu, Hanover, MD (huge but basic crab cakes with kind of a mustard tinge, exactly the same as G&M's)
- Maiwand Kabob, Shops at Arundel Mills (Afghan kabobs)
- Grace Garden, Odenton, MD (Chinese with a "secret Chinese menu" in English)
Northern VA south of the DC beltway:
- Honey Pig, Annadale, VA (Korean BBQ -- actually I've only been to the Maryland location where I like their bulgogi, potstickers, and seafood pancake -- main thing is it's open 24 hours)
- Bistro L'Hermitage, Occoquan, VA (high-end French, probably not what you're looking for; extensive wine list)
- Dixie Bones BBQ, Woodbridge, VA (hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint)
Tried to remember a place near Stafford, VA where I had decent chicken fried steak and pancakes for breakfast, on Jefferson Davis Highway. Maybe Stafford Diner? It was definitely a hole-in-the-wall.
The Kobe beef burger with white truffle cheese sauce ,home made pickles on a brioche bun at Victoria gastropub is fantastic
Another place off 95 near BWI is Gunnings which has MD seafood and crabs and is near Timbucktoo. Their version of a triple decker club sandwich is a BLT on rye with a layer of crab cake and another layer of jumbo shrimp salad which is light on dressing.
Of the Jersey Turnpike at the Edison exit is Harold's Deli which has humongous and delicious Jewish style deli sandwiches and food.
Exit 3 off the nj turnpike has Italia, for Philly style cheesesteaks and hoagies as well as good pizza and pasta dishes.
Dog House, 1200 North Dupont Highway New Castle DE, right over the bridge. Classic lunch counter food.
617 Fallsway, Baltimore, MD 21202