HOME > Chowhound > Food Media & News >

Oxford English Dictionary (OED) officially recognizes a slew of new food-related words and phrases

ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 12:13 PM

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has seen fit to add a bunch of food-related words to its multi-volume tome. Full list here: http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/oed-ad...

Do you use all of these words?

Some like "Mac1" and "Flat Water" are phrases I didn't even realize were part of the common vernacular.

And I'll be the first to admit, I had not heard of "Eton Mess" before this.

And what took them so long with "Banh Mi"???

Any other words you'd like to see included in the OED?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. bbqboy RE: ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 01:07 PM

    Sammich will never be a word, no matter what the OED says.

    9 Replies
    1. re: bbqboy
      junescook RE: bbqboy Apr 2, 2011 01:19 PM

      Interestingly, my late father-in-law who, had he lived, would be over 100 now, always called them sammiches. He also spent his life in Poughkeepsie, so maybe it's an upstate NY thing.

      1. re: bbqboy
        ipsedixit RE: bbqboy Apr 2, 2011 01:24 PM

        Why the backlash against "Sammich"?

        1. re: ipsedixit
          bbqboy RE: ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 02:10 PM

          Visions of Rachel dance before me.

          1. re: bbqboy
            junescook RE: bbqboy Apr 4, 2011 09:41 AM

            Rachel calls them "Sammies", not "Sammiches".

            1. re: junescook
              bbqboy RE: junescook Apr 4, 2011 10:06 AM

              too close for comfort :)

          2. re: ipsedixit
            Quine RE: ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 05:24 PM

            It's explained quite clearly here:


          3. re: bbqboy
            Quine RE: bbqboy Apr 2, 2011 03:23 PM

            So Sad that now baby talk of nom nom and sammich is included. A true dum down for the OED.

            1. re: Quine
              paulj RE: Quine Apr 2, 2011 07:28 PM

              Do mean that the OED can't include slang and baby talk?

              1. re: paulj
                Quine RE: paulj Apr 2, 2011 07:32 PM

                no baby talk.

                And once it is included, slang goes legit

          4. s
            smartie RE: ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 03:03 PM

            I think 'moreish' needs to be a word. When you can't stop eating something it's moreish.

            2 Replies
            1. re: smartie
              sommrluv RE: smartie Apr 4, 2011 09:57 AM

              That's in an old Green Gables book! But I've heard it said before...Someone will say. "Hmm, this turkey tastes a little Moreish" and it translates to a second helping.

              1. re: smartie
                DeppityDawg RE: smartie Apr 4, 2011 08:11 PM

                "Moreish" has been in the OED since 2002, with a first attestation from 1691. I don't know if it needs to be a word, but it is one, anyway.

              2. d
                DeppityDawg RE: ipsedixit Apr 2, 2011 03:46 PM

                The article you linked to is mixing up the OED and Oxford Dictionaries Online. Some of these words were already in the OED ("pulled pork", "momo", "spiedie") and some of them haven't made it in yet ("babycino", "chermoula", "mac", "nom nom", "pork bun", "sammich").

                See here for list of words added in the March 2011 update of the OED:

                And see here for the February 2011 update of ODO:

                As far as I can tell, "flat water" has not been added to ODO. The expression has been listed in the OED for a long time, and the definition is food-related, but it has nothing to do with still vs. sparkling drinking water: "patches of oily water in the sea, indicating the presence of pilchards".

                1. Jay F RE: ipsedixit Apr 4, 2011 12:53 PM

                  It took them until 2011 to discover "gremolata," "rugelach," and "pulled pork"?

                  2 Replies
                  1. re: Jay F
                    Lizard RE: Jay F Apr 5, 2011 12:07 AM

                    There's a difference between the "discovery" of a food, dish, or a word and the decision to incorporate it into a language dictionary. (i.e. When does a foreign word gain enough common usage to be considered part of that language?)

                    This item is depressingly short and without any kind of useful linking or attribution. Then again, there are those who are genuinely interested in language issues and those that are simply titillated by any mention of food. "Bakingbites.com" is hardly where I should go for this kind of story if I'm really looking to be informed.

                    DeppityDawg's links are far more interesting.

                    1. re: Jay F
                      TheUrbanGrocer RE: Jay F Apr 5, 2011 12:50 AM

                      That's what I thought!! But anyway are these technically words with meanings? If I wanted to know what rugelach is, I wouldn't reach for the OED....I love the OED but I'm confused....

                      Caitlin Zaino | www.TheUrbanGrocer.com

                    2. m
                      mexicophile RE: ipsedixit Apr 4, 2011 01:18 PM

                      Is muffin-top in there? That is food-related, right?

                      2 Replies
                      1. re: mexicophile
                        jmckee RE: mexicophile Apr 5, 2011 08:58 AM

                        Sometimes. Unless it involves a female wearing an outfit that displays what it, um, shouldn't.

                        1. re: mexicophile
                          fame da lupo RE: mexicophile Apr 5, 2011 02:24 PM


                        2. ipsedixit RE: ipsedixit Apr 5, 2011 05:11 PM

                          I'm just glad "we" are recognized ...


                          Show Hidden Posts