Lively Birthday Restaurant Suggestions
I have a request for two places at which I can celebrate my upcoming mid-30th birthday.
(1) For dinner, I'm looking for a fun place with good food and with lively, upbeat music-- preferably of the salsa genre. In my last city (ATL), there was a wonderful tapas restaurant that was full of energy, music, and good food. The vibe was energetic and sexy, and their sangria's were out of this world. The music through the loud speakers was so infectious that you couldn't sit still in your seat. (the place in ATL is Eclipse di Luna for those curious)
Are there any places like this in DC?
(2) A nice, laid-back, unpretentious bar. I'm originally from the south, so I'd like bar with a casual relaxed feel, preferably with wooden floors...but I think I may have to go out to VA for that?
2) Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan?
The Black Squirrel
2427 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
1) I'm not 100% sure about music but maybe check out Jaleo or Cafe Atlantico.
2) Bar Pilar might be what you are looking for.
405 8th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20004
1833 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Not sure about a place with music for the first rec. My favorite laid-back, unpretentious bar is Trusty's. Trusty's is on Capitol Hill, near the Potomac Ave. metro stop. The bar is great - they have board games, a ridiculous selection of beer in cans, drafts in mason jars, and an amazing roof-top porch. Not to mention the bar in the upstairs is an old school-bus.
1) Zaytinya not latiny, but very hip and upbeat, I think it has what you are looking for. SEI might also fit the bill if you want the vibe, but not the latin music.
701 9th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
There is a place called The Salsa Room in Arlington, VA. They biil the food as being Mexican, but the proprietors are Bolivian and I believe they make Bolivian specialties as well, but you may have to ask about that. Last I was there, there were still serving Bolivian food at lunch. Live music, of course.
In Adams Morgan there is this place, but I've never been: