I need your best yellow cake recipe
... For a big birthday party. I might need to double it, too, so any experience you've had with that would be most appreciated!
This is from an old Best Recipe. It's very light and fluffy but don't skip the steps or the results won't be the same.
4 eggs, room temp
1/2 c whole milk, room temp
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c sifted cake flour (I whisk)
1 1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, softened, cut into 8 pieces
1) Preheat oven 350. Grease 2 9" pans; place parchment paper cut to size. Grease and flour pan and parchment.
2) Beat eggs, milk, vanilla. Reserve 1 cup of this.
3) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in bowl (I use stand mixer,i fusing hand mixer, mixing time will be almost double). Beat 30 sec.
Add piece of butter, mix lowest speed. Continue adding rest of butter, one piece at a time. Mix until you have crumbs the size of peas--about 30-40 secs.
4) Add 1 c reserved from 2) and mix until uniform (5-10 secs). Increase speed to med high, beat until light and fluffy about 1 min.
5) Add remaining liquid, slowly, about 30 secs. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat until curdled looking, about 15 more secs.
6) Divide between pans and bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean from center.
7) Cool 20 mins in pan, then run knife around edge and turn out on greased rack (I spray it) to cool completely.