London - Chowdown at St John
- klyeoh Mar 22, 2011 02:42 PM
Thanks a heap to limster for organizing this. Chowdown at St John last night was fabulous - best meal I'd had this past couple of weeks on this visit to London!
Stuff we had:
- Dressed crab on toast;
- Roast bone marrow with parsley salad;
- Terrine with pickled gherkins;
- Smoked sprats with pickled red cabbage;
- Veal brisket, potato & arugula salad;
- Brown bread ice-cream;
- Chocolate terrine with toffee ice-cream - that bar of dense, sticky chocolate was the stuff dreams are made of!!
- Eccles cake with Lancashire cheese;
- Baked cheesecake with raisins;
- Buttermilk pudding with shortbread & figs - my fave dessert for the evening!
- Fresh, baked-to-order Madeleines - fab :-)
26 St John St, Islington EC1M 4AY, United Kingdom
My wife and I usually go to the bar mainly because its more of a walk-in thing and we sometimes decide at the last moment. The starters and puddings may just be the best part of the menu so thats great.
The only downside, from talking to one of the people there, is that the reserved diners get preference for any puddings any starters. If they are running low on anything, they will erase it from the bar chalkboard menu.
The madelines were not on the bar menu that day, but the kitchen was very kind to oblige. Always worth asking.