Baked Fish Recipes?
I'm trying to cut down on calories and was wondering what baked fish recipes you guys would recommend. I'm getting tired of breading or just adding butter and basil to tilapia/flounder.
I do not eat shrimp but otherwise I'm open to other seafood options that are healthy and can be prepared easily.
I've posted my miso-glazed halibut recipe on CH before -- I think it definitely qualifies for your request. Works great on salmon too.
Miso-Glazed Halibut for Two
two 6-8 ounce halibut fillets
1/4 C. light miso paste
2 1/2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. agave syrup
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450F.
2. In a quart-sized ziplock bag, combine miso, vinegar, agave syrup, oil, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper. Smoosh the bag around to mix the ingredients together, then add the halibut fillets to the bag and let marinate for 20 minutes or so.
3. Place the fillets on a foil-lined pan, then pour about half the marinade over the fillets. Discard the rest of the marinade in the bag. (To avoid wasting a plastic bag, you could do all of this in a mixing bowl. I just liked the convenience and lack of clean up!)
4. Sprinkle the fillets with the sesame seeds, then bake for about 15 minutes, or until miso has turned a shade browner and sesame seeds are beginning to toast.
5. Serve over rice, quinoa, or whatever you like. Garnish with lime wedges and pickled ginger.
Doing fish en papillote is wonderfully delicious and can be very healthy. Just add some fresh lemon or orange juice (heck, grapefruit or lime!) , veg cut small so they cook quickly (i.e. julienne), parboiled baby potatoes, fresh herbs, a touch of butter and season. Fun opening up at the table, too!
Dijon mustard is your friend...here's a pretty good recipe from Epiciurious...Fish Fillets Dijon...you can easily sub olive oil for the butter and I've used this on mahi-mahi and cod with great results:
Alternatively: I've been using USA Frozen Sockeye Salmon spread with turmeric powder, fresh crushed garlic, black pepper, olive oil and white vinegar....let it sit for 30 minutes and then bake it at 375...very good and very good for you with the turmeric and black pepper. No bread crumbs but has lots of flavor IF you like turmeric.