my sourdough starter isnt souring...
I followed the instructions on the back of the rye flour bag. It was basically
day 1: 1c water +1 c rye flour, mix, and cover with damp cloth
day 2: feed with 1c rye flour, and some water and mix, recover
day 3 (where we are now): your starter should smell yeasty. But mine doesnt at all! What do I do?
Our flat is naturally quite, um, mouldy, so Im surprised that my starter doesnt seem to have any of it. I can rig a sieve to cover the bowl to allow more spores in, but keep the cat out.
The mold you may have growing in your flat may well be something you don't want in a starter. Toxic molds would not be something you'd want in your starter formulas. Toss out what you have and use this. After it's developed and you begin feeding it on a regular basis, feed it using rye flour and it'll get nice and sour.
Maybe too low ambient temperature? Can you place it uncovered (the sieve is a good idea) in a warm area, as on top of the refrigerator ?
Is your starter bubbling and showing signs of life? You should see some bubblling.
How warm are you keeping your starter? I shoot for 75 deg F. Also, I keep my new upstart starter in the oven (no drafts, sheltered from snoopy pets and maintains a constant temp.
If you're seeing bubbling, give it a couple more days.
If you see mold, dump it and start again. Mold and the sourdough bacteria/yeast are different. Mold is not good.
Also, is your water chlorinated? Chlorine may inhibit the bacteria in the rye.
For my sourdough starter, I mixed the flour and water on the first day. Then, I left it covered with a dry, breathable cloth and left it in a warm spot in the house for about a week. I didn't touch it and then, on around the seventh day, I fed it. My sourdough starter is doing fine now and I've had it for about two months.