New Sushi Restaurant Opening in the Junction
- Shorttyred Mar 6, 2011 12:55 PM
Hey i was walking on dundas west and noticed a sign for a new sushi spot opening here - its were the Bronto Burger was at Pacific. Anyone got any intel on when its opening or if its a chain? It would be nice to have sushi in the hood.
2982 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M6P1Z3, CA
Happy to report Lan Sushi is very good and fresh! They only have a table (or two?), I asked if they were adding additional seating, she said maybe another couple of tables, but they plan on it being mainly takeout. We had the small sashimi/sushi combo (does not come with the usual soup/salad) and a dynamite roll. Yum, definitely the best of the local sushi places that I've tried! We had it last night, and I had to resist the urge to get it again at lunch today!
I tried it the 2nd week it was open. Lovely family but there are some major issues for me.
1) They are trying to do too much (they are operating as a restaurant and store with a shelf of items). Just stick to being a local sushi joint, don't try and get too big for your shoes too fast guys!
2) Their spicy rolls had no zip and weren't fully mixed ie. there was a blend of spicy sauce and salmon on-top of the roll, but inside the roll was just regular salmon.
3) One table (which they do not intend on expanding on)? Cmon now guys, theres lots of room for another.
4) Lastly, they have no intent on applying for a liquor license because of "too much paperwork". Well, thats a bad sign. Running a business = paperwork, and if you can sell some Sapporo or Saki with your food you'll do much better business IMHO (goes along with extra tables for more eat-in diners).
They have some things to work on for sure, but the place shows promise.
Haven't been here, but I dont' see any problem at all with having some shelves of goods for sale up in a takeout place. The extra sales help and generally customer slike browsing stuff while waiting.
The one table seems weird, but is it a "full service table" or just a table where you can sit down to eat your takeout? If its the former, yeah, get a couple more tables or none. If its the latter, its comopletely unnecessary for a liquor licence and one table is enough. If its not a serviced table and more like a fast/food style table, even one is ok too IMO.
Being a full service restaurant is very different from being a takeout/delivery place. If you want them to be a full service restaurant, I think this qualifies as doing "too much" more so than selling some store items.
Sounds a lot like a famous leslieville sushi place from your description though (of the business, not the food)
I was in a hurry when I wrote my last post, but I agree with 00CP on the table front. While service was friendly, they answered all my questions with a laughing "no, sorry". The issue for me, is that while small, they could easily fit at least 4-5 tables, they could have bar-height counters around the walls to stand at. I don't think it's a question of not having enough staff, as they had at least 5 people working there. They also said don't take credit cards (yet?), the combos don't come with soup or salad, and it's about a 30 minute wait for takeout.
Of course, those are the negatives, as I mentioned in my previous post, the fish was very fresh, and a true gem in an area that has been shockingly underserviced in the sushi department. They are very friendly, and the woman at the cash mentioned they had run another sushi place before, but with a different name.