Sush! 67 on Roncesvalles
A few weeks ago, we went looking for Vincent Sushi on Roncesvalles. Instead, we found that a new sushi shop, Sushi 67, had opened up in that space. (Vincent is now further north). When we went in, we were greeted by enthusiastic "Hellos!" from the waitress and three kitchen staff. When we were seated, we were offered a fragrant and sweet-tasting orange jasmine tea.
The menu shows that the restaurant's theme is fusion cuisine, so initially, we were a bit hesitant. But after trying a yuzu salad, a sushi combo, Roncesvalles roll and unagi fire roll, we were convinced that the Sushi 67 had tasty and high quality sushi. In subsequent visits, we tried the ramen, stuffed cucumber rolls and several more sushi combos. The ramen was ok, but the other items were fresh, unique, and often had a subtle fusion twist. The fish in the sushi combos changed each visit to reflect what was fresh in the market. When we were having the sushi combos, the chef would explain the fish selection and then he would lighten the soy sauce with another sauce. He explained that this would help us taste the freshness of the fish.
Having just visited Kaji in December, we think that the quality of food is approaching that of Kaji. The service and the friendliness exceeds Kaji. I happened to pass by the restaurant the other day around 3pm, and the chef saw me and waved to me.
All and all, excellent food and value. The sushi 10 combo (10 pieces sushi and a roll) is $11.95. The tiny restaurant only has 2 tables and some stools, but they do lots of take out too. The menu is a bit awkwardly worded, but conveys lots of enthusiasm for good food.
647 717 8744
153 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, ON M6R 2L3, CA
I came across “Sush! 67” last week when I was returning a movie to the Film Buff (Sush! 67 is 2-3 doors south). It was brightly coloured and the take out menu that advertised delivery was nicely designed.
I tried “Sush! 67” today for the first time, and I have to strongly urge people in the area to try this place out!! The service and staff were amazing – their jubilant “hello!” when you enter is absolutely infectious. There are about 8 seats in the cozy sushi resto for the Japanese owners to serve, and they also work in the kitchen.
- The complimentary hot tea is fragrant with sweet orange flowers and delicious. It wasn’t diluted, and was very aromatic.
- I got the ramen noodles with quail eggs – noodles were cooked very nicely with a bite, and the quail eggs were cooked perfectly. Toppings were some thinly sliced mushrooms, tofu, onions, and black sesame seeds. The dish was served with a fresh toasted piece of garlic baguette that you could dip into the spiced left over soup. It was a great touch to the simple dish. The chopsticks were wrapped with the napkin and tied with a gold ribbon. Very detail oriented!
- The staff was so friendly, and very welcoming. The owner (Jason) offered me a free sample of one of their deluxe specialty rolls with wasabi creme. It was excellent, and I’m def going to get it next time!
- The service throughout the meal was 10/10, they were very attentive as they checked on me, my food, and refilled my delicious tea a few times. At the end of the meal I was offered a cute bowl with some fresh fruit topped with honey and delicate honey crisps. Very delicious and a perfect way to end the meal.
- I can’t think of anything bad about the experience, even the music was soothing and mood lifting (soft jazz, classical instrumentals, etc). The bill came in a bright green basket with a bookmark that said “sushi 67” – so cute! .
I think this resto is a great addition to the area, they do take out as well as delivery according to the menu. They are a new small resto start-up offering a great dining experience in the area. I left with a grin on my face! I will definitely be back here to try the other excellent dishes and enjoy the friendly service!!
67 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto.
73 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, ON M6R, CA
Thanks for the recommendation. My wife and I tried the sushi combo. We chose spicy salmon as the roll but it was a bit too spicy for my wife's taste. We really enjoyed the varied sushi, though, and it was definitely a good deal for the price. This will make a good go-to sushi place for us in Roncesvalles.