Help me choose a dessert
I'm having people over Saturday night for chicken and green chili enchiladas with arroz verde.
I'd like to have something for dessert, but after that dinner, I can't bring myself to make anything too heavy. On the other hand, fresh fruit here is still in the mind-blowingly expensive stage of the year and I'd like to do something a little fancy.
I considered key lime pie as an option, but I'm curious what ideas other people can come up with before I settle on anything. Even better if it's reasonably affordable. There will be six of us for dinner.
If you want something key lime, I've made this lemon-lime mascarpone mousse w/ key lime and it's very good, nice and light.
16 oz. Mascarpone cheese
2/3 cup sugar + 1/4 cup sugar for the egg whites
zest of 1 lime
5 eggs, separated
1. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they are very pale.
2. Beat in the mascarpone cheese, the lemon juice and the lime zest until very well combined.
3. In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
4. add the 1/4 cup of sugar into the whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold the whites into the mascarpone/lemon mixture until no streaks remain.
6. Divide among 6 ramequins or other decorative bowls and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
If you have (or can obtain) individually size trifle dishes it would be a light and beautiful finish to your meal. Two or three layers of lady fingers, whipped cream and mixed fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blue berries - frozen works very well) with a drizzle of sauce made of the juices drained from the strawberries/raspberries and thickened with a little cornstarch brings a touch of elegance to the occasion.
Customize a good quality storebought vanilla ice cream by softening it in the refrigerator, then stirring in fresh fruit and/or fruit curd and/or preserves. Refreeze before serving as is, or maybe accompanied by cookies or made into ice cream sandwiches using graham crackers or your favorite homemade cookies.