HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Are you making a specialty food?

Those raised trays for serving pizza

Spanish Willy Feb 12, 2011 08:48 AM

They used to serve pizza on a raised platform tray at the table. I'm guessing this opened up more table for the diners.
What is this thing called? Can't find it by Googling.
Whay don't they use 'em anymore? Unsafe height?
Anyone know where to get some?

  1. gaffk Feb 13, 2011 06:09 PM

    Where I am from, they still use them And yes, it is to save table space for jars of garlic, oregano, red peppers, etc.

    1. EWSflash Feb 13, 2011 12:10 PM

      They use them for cheese tostadas (cheese crisps) around here, same deal- frees up some table.

      1 Reply
      1. re: EWSflash
        Spanish Willy Feb 13, 2011 01:32 PM

        A nachosey type thing is what I´m considering among others too. Muchas gracias all.

      2. e
        Eldon Kreider Feb 12, 2011 06:58 PM

        They are still in use at some places. Our pizza for lunch yesterday at Caponies in Chicago came on one.

        1 Reply
        1. re: Eldon Kreider
          Glencora Feb 13, 2011 11:25 AM

          Yeah, the last two places I ordered pizza (Oakland, San Francisco) used them. Maybe it's a retro thing? Anyhow, I like 'em.

        2. s
          Spanish Willy Feb 12, 2011 11:23 AM

          Thanks very much folks.
          I feel stupid now, but still, thanks.

          2 Replies
          1. re: Spanish Willy
            Nicolette S Feb 12, 2011 04:10 PM

            Gosh, don't feel stupid! I didn't know what they were called either and your post just called out to the part of me that NEEDS TO KNOW. :)
            Are you thinking of using them in your home?

            1. re: Nicolette S
              Spanish Willy Feb 13, 2011 09:35 AM

              Uhh, not my home.
              I'm building a new menu for my restaurant. But I want to use them for lifting other stuff up off the table, not pizza.
              They used to look like cake stands when I was a kid, but these new ones are much smarter, as you can put things under them, so that's kinda neat.

          2. f
            fourunder Feb 12, 2011 08:57 AM

            Just type in *Pizza Tray Stand *....



            1. Nicolette S Feb 12, 2011 08:55 AM

              Something like this?


              You could always slide the sliced pie onto a raised cake plate.

              This one's cool, it holds 2!


              Show Hidden Posts